Don't Fail Me Now: Sauna Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manoaction

Reaction score
This is easily the best community for DIY that I've ever met, and I need your help. At least, I need your drunken conjecture from the safety of your keyboards.

Has anybody ever built a backyard sauna?

The SWMBO and I are moving to a modest home with a 1 1/2 acre backyard. My mind is reeling with backyard projects from trout pond, orchard, regulation croquet course, all the way to backyard sauna hut.

What I want is a cedar hut with a wood burning stove that has a pile of hot rocks to pour steam on.

Has anybody done this? I'm getting conflicting evidence about specially lined walls, type of wood, shape of hut etc...

It seems like a simple affair. Pour decent footers, build a slightly elevated deck with walls and a sloped roof, add wood burning stove, and relax.

Thoughts? Wisdom? Experience?

I will have one someday. I grew up with a Sunday sauna at my grandparent's nearly every weekend. It is so refreshing.

A good portion of us Yoopers are also Finlanders so I have seen many saunas. Some fancy, some just shacks in the backyard. All seem to work equally well.

You seem to have the important things covered already. For me, ice cold water is a necessity. I hope you're pronouncing it like a good Finlander.

Make this a build thread. I'll live through you until I can start building mine.

Back