Help on Fermentation Chamber/Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Have done a bit of research on here but would like to get your opinions and suggestions on a few things.

First I would like to build a nice looking yet effective and efficient Keezer. I have a stand up commercial freezer and a small chest freezer now but neither hold enough volume for me and the stand up just doesn't work. I would like to make a keezer big enough to serve 4 cornys simultaneously while also keeping two cold and also hold 4 carboys for lagering. A lot have been turning a 4.3 cu ft mini fridge into a keezer. I am thinking there is no way one of these will be able to cool that all down to the 40's. Believe to hold that much it will be around 25 cu ft. Was thinking a 4.3 mini fridge on both sides? 2-3 inches of insulation and then wood outside stained with trim to make it nice for inside the house. What do you think? Was thinking possibly an external condenser but have not found anything yet. Would like to get any suggestions or hear previous experience on this.

Secondly I would like to build an ale fermentation chamber, keeping it in the 60-70 temperature range, done worrying about the temp of the house through the seasons for proper fermentation. Planning on matching the unit above but with 1-2 inches of insulation. Was thinking one 4.3 mini fridge would be plenty to keep roughly 25 cu ft (allowing me to hold 8 carboys) cold at 60 degrees being the lowest. Thinking about a small heater fan to circulate warm air in the winter as I am located in Michigan.

Ideas from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-fermoire-build-283639/

What do you guys think?

There's been a bunch of these done over the years. I don't have any links or search terms, but they're our there. Try searching for fermentation chamber builds to see what you can find.

Back