aging apfelwein for years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcfzx2

Reaction score
I want to age some apfelwein for a couple of years. My question is do I need to do anything special. For example use wine bottles or are beer bottles fine. Do I need to add anything special and so on. Also I want to do some flat and some sparkling.

Beer bottles should work just fine for still or sparkling. Ordinary wine bottles are fine for still but they cannot withstand the pressure, for sparkling wine you'll need to use champagne bottles.
Regards, GF.

If you're doing a sparkling apfelwine they really should be in champagne or belgian bottles. But otherwise in terms of aging just stick them away and forget about them.

Use beer bottles, and that's it. If you can get the oxygen absorbing caps, it's even better. Other than that you don't have to do anything special. I always save a couple of bottles. I have a couple of bottles that are 5 years old. We drank one the other day that was outstanding!

But I never do them flat.

I have read in a couple places that bulk aging is best. Though I cannot attest to this I do have 4 gallons bulk aging now.

Back