Is my fermentation through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyO

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed a batch of "True Brew" pale ale from a kit last Saturday. Fermentation started slowly (approx. 35 hrs to start seeing air lock bubbles). Everything went ok for a couple of days, then slowed down and pretty much stopped on Wed. I left it alone, didn't even open it up to look until today (Sunday). My OG was at 1.044. My hydrometer reading at this point is 1.020. My kit says it should be around 1.010-1.012. I thought it's had plenty of time to complete fermentation, but now I'm not sure. Since it was my first batch I was going to skip secondary, and just bottle today. Should I just close it up and wait a couple of more days? I have a small ring of kreusen residue on the bucket. Should I push that back it, give it a swirl and let it go for a little longer. Just looking for a little advice. Oh yeah, the temp. has been around 68 degrees for the majority of the time.
By the way, the beer looks good and tastes good!
Thanks for any help.

I don't think bottling at this point is a good idea. It needs to finish fermenting.

What kind of yeast are you using? What temp are you fermenting at?

I used the Munton's dry yeast packet that came with the kit. The temp. has remained mostly around 68 degrees, with a dip down to 66 one day, and a rise to near 70 on another.

give the fermenter a swirl and give it another week.
i agree it needs to finish lower before bottling.

Leave it for another week. I know its hard to do, I made the same mistake on my first batch, but its worth the wait.

Good advice down the board. I leave mine in the primary for 2 weeks minimum since I don't have a secondary yet. I've always left the krausen alone. Check your specific gravity on Fri. and then on Sun. If the #s are the same, your ready to bottle. Your temps sound fine if you used an Ale yeast. Relax Man... your beer is going to be great. RR

Back