Question on Beersmith Mash profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to set up Beersmith for my sparge method.

I typically mash in, and after rest I sparge twice with equal amounts of 168F water. I'm not sure how to input this into Beersmith.

At first the software made sense to me, but lately I've had to play with it each time to try and remember how to set this up. Each time I've looked at it, it seems that there is no perfect option for what I want to do.

I just decided to once and for all get help and save this method in the list instead of trying to hunt it down each time!

Go into the "details" of the mash profile. There is a section near the bottom for batch sparge options.

I have all 3 boxes checked and have the percent of tun set at 100%.
Sometimes I have to monkey around with the percent to get my numbers correct.

If it only gives a single sprage, drop the 100% to 50%. That may give two, three or some other number of spargs. That number I sometimes have to play with to get two sparges. Sometimes it is 50, 67, 80 or other number depending on the recipe.

I'm still not doing it right. I wonder if I have somehow modified the default settings while playing with it.

I'll keep playing with it as I have time. So far I don't have anything going on at work, which means that something is right around the corner.

I found my flaw. My has tun is large enough that for most recipes, even setting it to 75% of mash tun volume only requires a single rinse. Setting it to 50% makes beersmith utilize 2 sparges.

I think it would be nice to be able to tell the software exactly how many sparges you want to use, and have it ignore the mash volume, but I'm not sure how to set it up that way.

No matter, I know what is going on now. It took a bit of playing with before I was able to hit my forehead with my palm.

Back