Need help with manifold design on Coleman Xtreme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I bought a Coleman Xtreme 36 qt. cooler about a month ago. I already have a SS braid hooked up to the valve for sparging, but I also want to build a manifold. So, I was at my local home improvement superstore today, and I got impulsive. I bought 10' of 1/2" CPVC piping, as well as a bunch of CPVC tees and elbow joints (90 and 45 degree varieties).

The question I have is, the hole where the wort drains out is actually in a channel, so it's below the bottom of the cooler. I was hoping some folks here have already built CPVC manifolds for this type of cooler so I could get some ideas of how to tackle it. I think I know what I need to do, but my writing skills aren't good enough to accurately describe what I'm thinking (believe me, I've written and deleted about five paragraphs in this post alone :confused: )

For those unfamilar with the Coleman Xtreme that may want to give input, the bottom of my cooler is app. 8.5" X 20". The hole where the bulkhead goes is app. 1" below the bottom surface of the cooler, with a long sloping channel running about half the length of the cooler.

Purpose built for a Coleman Xtreme 36qt:

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

Baron von BeeGee said:
Purpose built for a Coleman Xtreme 36qt:

DSC00143.JPG

DSC00144.JPG

DSC00145.JPG

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I would imagine that Home Despot or Maynard's would have the 45 deg fittings that you need in CPVC. Souldn't be a problem. Good luck!

orfy said:
You could copy in pvc if you need to. If needed use 2x90s instead of the 45s

I'm already pretty far into the process of using the 45s like the Baron illustrated. I tried using the 90s, but the manifold was too far off the bottom of the cooler for my satisfaction with that setup.

The only difference in my setup, and Baron's, is that I have 5 lengths of tubing along the cooler, vs. his 3. To be honest, I think 3 would have been the more sensible move. I'm thinking I have overkill with my setup. I'm considering trying four lengths, also, although that would be a little more complicated, because the sloped piping would have to be turned, as well.

Yep, using three lengths of CPVC is really looking like the way to go here. Thanks, everyone! :mug:

greg75 said:
I'm already pretty far into the process of using the 45s like the Baron illustrated. I tried using the 90s, but the manifold was too far off the bottom of the cooler for my satisfaction with that setup.

Well, as it turns out, with Baron's setup ( the two tees stacked near the exit hole of the cooler) would lift my manifold off the floor of the cooler significantly, or at least I've been under the impression it's significant. In fact, it's exactly the same height I get when using 90 degree tees). I guess my question is, how close to the bottom does it have to be? Because, by far, this is the best option to contour the manifold to this particular cooler. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it being too far from the bottom? :confused:

The other thing I was considering was shaving just a bit off of the two tees where they meet each other. Nothing like a little cobbling on a Friday night... :)

I don't think it's a big deal if it lifts it a bit....the short length of pipe that rests in the bottom of the sump channel has slots cut in it, as well, and that's where any wort not collected by the longer pipes will go.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I don't think it's a big deal if it lifts it a bit....the short length of pipe that rests in the bottom of the sump channel has slots cut in it, as well, and that's where any wort not collected by the longer pipes will go.

Well, of course... :cross: ! I really should have thought of that. I swear, I'm not even drinking tonight...just overthinking this whole thing.

Again, Baron, thanks for posting your pics. They were invaluable to me! :rockin:

Back