APA- Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I've planned a pale ale for Sunday to help clear out the older hops before the new batch arrives. I've got about 1.75 Oz. of Cascade, .5 Nugget and about 1.25 of Amarillo. Here's what I was thinking, let me know if you think the hops needs to be shuffled/repurposed.

Grain Bill: about 1.048 with 85%MO, Crystal, victory & carapils

60 min - .5 Nugget
10 min - .5 Cascade & .5 Amarillo
KO - .5 Cascade & .5 Amarillo

IBU:30

Dry. .25 simcoe, .25 amarillo, .75 cascade.

I could also use the new hops to dry hop it, so those could be added back into the boil if needed. I'm looking for a somewhat balanced APA with plenty of hop flavor while still being drinkable. This will be my first pale ale so I'm not sure what exactly those late additions will do.

thanks

Omit the carapils if you are using crystal, otherwise, it looks fine. 1-2 oz are the norm for dry hopping an APA.

Ironically, I have a very similar recipe I will be brewing tomorrow, only real difference is I will be using US 2-row rather than MO, and of course no carapils.

My hopping schedule is more aggressive, but that's just me.

The best APA I've made had no dry hops. I bottled a six pack when I moved the batch to secondary on dry hops. I liked the first six pack better. It had better overall balance. It had a OG of 1.045 and I used K-97 yeast.

I'm sure your recipe will make a really good beer. My favorite hop schedule was 1oz Cascade FWH, .5 oz Warrior 60 min, and 1 oz Cascade at 5 min. I bet mixing in Amarillo would make it better.

It's not that I don't like dry hops. I bottled a six pack of my last IPA without dry hops and it turns out the dry hop really complete that beer.

I do think that the flame out addition might be better used as a 20 minute flavor addition. The dry hops will be enough for aroma.

Back