Chile Verde Beer season!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
It is green chile season in New Mexico. The roasters are rolling and it is time to make some chile beer! I am not talking the nasty old fire beer you so often run across. I am talking crisp clean lager with a beautiful smoky, chile aroma, and a fine chile flavor and heat to clean off the palette. Make the beer, let it clear and chill. Toss the HEAVILY roasted chiles - seeds, skins and all - into the secondary. Let it sit a few days and enjoy the taste of New Mexico! :ban:

I love hot food. However, I cannot bring myself to making hot beer. Should be refreshing, something to wash down the other spicy stuff.

BP not to be inconsiderate, but weren't you just concerned about being upset by gluten and beer? I would think this would exacerbate the issue yeah? Only saying cause, I LOVE spicy food but I have to take nexxium daily and if I do not and I eat spicies...

OOOooohhhhhh. :cross:

Spice doesn't bother my gut in the least. I may have to try a GF chile beer, but I am not worried about chile. I had a bowl of chile stew for lunch and enchilladas for dinner last night. I love the stuff.

As for crisp and refreshing, it is if you don't go over-board with the chile. Just get enough to give it a bite. The big thing I go for is the roasted chile flavor that is so much a signature of New Mexican food. Not a beer for everyone, but I love it in the line-up of selections.

You know the drill, if it works out, post the recipe. I suppose if you have to go GF, spices and extra hops will keep brewing worth while.

Brewpastor said:
As for crisp and refreshing, it is if you don't go over-board with the chile. Just get enough to give it a bite. The big thing I go for is the roasted chile flavor that is so much a signature of New Mexican food. Not a beer for everyone, but I love it in the line-up of selections.

I love hot food, but BP is correct. Hatch Chiles have an amazing depth of flavor and the roastiness is the icing on the cake. Making an over-the-top-too-hot-to-drink Chile Beer is for the BMC crowd. This is HBT. We are capable of much more!

I love chili beers. What would you suggest for a base brew? Something along a clean kolsch or a bit hoppier?

Oh...and as for this???
Brewpastor said:
...I had a bowl of chile stew for lunch and enchilladas for dinner last night...
Could you do a brother a favor and open a window? :cross:

alright, sounds good. Though, I will need convincing before brewing my own... :D

samples please? ;)

Kolsch would be great, a brown ale works, as does a golden ale or a lightly hopped pils. I personally don't like a lot of hops, but I do like the beer to be balanced. Kolsch is right there.

Windows? Sorry but I am a Mac man now...

Window? We don't need no stinkin window.

Hey Brewpastor,

I would really like to try my hand at chile beer. Do you think it needs to be cold lagered, or do you think an amber ale or IPA could benefit from chile "hopping" in the secondary?

Greg

SW Brewer said:
Hey Brewpastor,

I would really like to try my hand at chile beer. Do you think it needs to be cold lagered, or do you think an amber ale or IPA could benefit from chile "hopping" in the secondary?

Greg

It doesn't need to be lagered at all, but I would go with a less hoppy style however. A less hoppy amber would be nice, although I also like mine to be dry, with no crystal to let the roasted chile flavors come through.

Great, I will look for an AG or PM amber ale recipe then. How much chile do you plan on putting into the secondary? Do you blanch them to sanitize them or just toss them straight in?

do you mash higher to leave a bit of sweetness in the beer to balance the spice? Or do you shoot for a beer with more of a dry finish?

nevermind....read the whole thread

Anyone have an extract recipe for chilli beer that they are willing to share? I'd really love to try one, but am still new to making my own recipes.

We don't have 'hatch' peppers up here. but from my google search, they look like Anahiem peppers. Can you shed some light on this?

New Mexican Chiles are a sub-species of Anaheim. Most of the famous ones are from the Hatch area or Chimayo.

The level of capsacin is supposedly tied to the climate of these areas. I think that NM chiles have a wider and deeper range of flavor and hotness as compared to Anaheim.

Terrior for Chiles?

As for recipes for the base beer. I generally use a variant of Jamil's Cream Ale (eminently googleable) . Other base beers are Pilsners and Blonds.

Back