Wii Homebrewing Game (Great Idea?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Somebody needs to create a Wii homebrewing game.... It starts with beginners extract version and is a training tool.

Imagine having to play the game while drinking. You are off screwing around sanitizing equipment and measuring out hops while you wort is boiling over.

Then you over there stirring like crazy to stop it from boiling over.

More drinking... missing hop additions and what not.

The score is based on whoever is closest to OG & IBUs for said style.

Sounds like fun, learn how to brew while you get drunk. :tank:

Enter your virtual homebrew into competitions and winning gets you brewery upgrades. Sounds like a cool game to me!

Enter your virtual homebrew into competitions and winning gets you brewery upgrades. Sounds like a cool game to me!

Thats great! - This would work well at teaching all aspects of brewing.

You could also get injured by exploding bottles if you over carbed!!! :D

Maybe cut-up stumbling with a glass carboy... :(

We talked about something like this in another thread. I would volunteer for this if I actually had the time...

If we could get access to the software behind something like BeerSmith it would help a lot with figuring out how the beer might turn out. Accounting for ALL the variables in a brew though (or even enough to keep it interesting and not just frustrating) would take close to a year of research and participation from LOTS of experienced homebrewers interested in this kind of project.

If my SWMBO let me play games more than an hour a week like i get to now I would probably play it at least once.. but i would end up just doing it for real

If you maybe did something where you're the enzyme converting starches, or the yeast converting sugar, but made like an actual "game" out of it...

The real draw of "sim" games is the organic element - the fact that there's an unpredictable aspect with a kind of will and personality outside your own. With empire games this can be the opposing army, with citybuilding games this can be traffic, riots, weather, crime, etc. Homebrewing for real is fun, but it has no such analog (since yeast are fairly predictable, and the goal of homebrewing is to make your methods consistent), so you have to compensate for that with some additional element that makes it fun to play.

I could see a wine making game for the Wii where you have to trample the grapes, but this seems a bit dull, to be honest. It would be another situation where I'm better in a game than in real life, just like Tiger Woods Golf. My beers would come out perfect on the Wii while I'm drinking my latest horror as I play.

BUT - a game that demystifies the brewing process to people with no clue, and creates a new generation of home brewers -- that is a worthwhile cause.

Oh good lord, a homebrew tabletop RPG...

Unfortunately the objections to that one... instead of "the spells are real! you recite actual pagan incantations!"... "the beer recipes are real! you really do get drunk!" would actually be somewhat factual.

Back