Differance between MaltoDextrin and Lactos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
If I added 8oz of maltodextrin or lactos which would make the beer feel smoother?

Or adding both would be fine?

My beer has 16oz malto dextrin and came out pretty good.
I wanted to sweeten it a bit and make it creamer so adding 8oz lactos to the 16oz maltodextrin would be ok or over board?

Thx

depends on what kind of beer it is. lactose is unfermentable and will leave a slightly sweet flavor, but it doesnt really do too much for mouth feel or body. maltodextrin on the other hand partially ferments and doesnt do too much for flavor, but leaves more body and mouthfeel. usually you want lactose in stouts and thats about it, and maltodextrin doesnt get used for too much but is more diverse and can be used in heavier malt beers like brown ales.

I used 16oz of Malto Dextrin in my stout, came out pretty nice. Not as creamy as I thought it would be, but nice and worth trying if you have not done so yet.
Going to use 8oz of Lactose as well to sweeten my stout a little.

when i make a milk stout, i use 1 lbs of lactose to sweeten and thats it. works pretty nicely. i try to stay away from maltodextrine just because i dont want to chance ruining a good batch of beer with experimentation. generally, its acceptable to utilize maltodextrine with extract brews because youre getting an extract flavor anyway so the slight change in body is already noticeable. but i do allgrain and its a whole different ballgame.

Samuel Adams Cream Ale used 16oz of MaltoDextrin, thats where I got the idea to use that much and it turned out well.

the SA cream ale is good stuff! i like it, but i think the maltodextrine was used primarily for mouthfeel and body. the creamy flavor comes from the use of munich malt and medium crystal malt in the brew.

My bad, not cream ale, was talking about the Cream Stout, pg 113 in the book Beer Captured.

There is no munich malt and medium crystal malt in the stout.

I do have fun experimenting.

So far, my beers where I think its total hosed up turns out good. HAHAHAHAHA

Back