Bottling from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I know it doesn't work well with beer, but is it possible to force carb an extract soda in my kegging equipment and then bottle and cap? Will it hold its carbonation? I'm having an event coming up where I would like to bring some bottles of my Sprecher extract root beer. It doesn't allow for natural carbonation as it has sodium benzoate.

The answer is quite simple, you just need to build this(below link) or buy a counter pressure filler. I have both and they function effectively.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

All the instructions on how to do this is in the thread, but basically you keep the bottles under pressure so the CO2 stays in solution rather than erupting out.

Good luck

Actually, bottling out of the keg is super simple and works great.

Soda is tougher, because it's much more highly carbonated, and foaming means losing carbonation. It can be done, but the keg should be very cold and the bottles very cold and it's still tricky!

Actually, bottling out of the keg is super simple and works great.

Soda is tougher, because it's much more highly carbonated, and foaming means losing carbonation. It can be done, but the keg should be very cold and the bottles very cold and it's still tricky!

Yooper is right.. almost ice cold, if there is frost it gives the CO2 lots of nucleation sites to form bubbles. Kind of a balancing act, but after the first bottle or three sprays you the learning curve flattens out a bit. :)

I've had terrible luck with this before. I get way too much foam in my lines and thus a massive head.
My (flawed) setup: 30PSI premixed soda ->25' tubing -> blichmann beer gun.

I will have to try chilling the bottles (I already chill my tubing).

Kyle

Back