Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adamreef said:
Wow! Mylar bags, nitrogen flushing and industrial sealers. Look what I started!

I've been bugging an engineering buddy about this for a while - the biggest cost seemed to be the Mylar bags.

Coyote - talk to the Yakima valley guys if you get a chance and see what the discounts might be.

**** me, i go out of town for a bit and come back to find 2 full pallets. lost my spot from failed buy #3.

OK folks - we have draft invoices put together, and I have a call scheduled with our sales rep to finalize the numbers tonight. Invoices should be distributed tomorrow.

Everyone who put themselves down for paypal will also get a money request from me once the invoices go out. I'll send my mailing address to the rest of you for the checks. I'll also send out a message with estimated shipping/meeting dates.

To Faithinchaos, JCHawk Dwoods, et. al. - As soon as the invoices are out, we'll post group buy #4. If you haven't sent me your info yet (see page 8 - message 80?) please do - this way i can get contact you directly.

To all the buy #3 folks - I'll keep you on the list and notify you once it goes out. Your splits will be on there from buy 3, but I'm happy to remove them if you're out and don't have time to do it yourself.

I talked with YAKIMA VALLEY HOPS !! they are willing to offer us a discount on a group purchase. all we have to do is get a total amount of hops and i can get with them for a final quote. i went in with s few friends before and the prices dropped enough to really reduce the shipping. we need to keep in mind that whole leaf hops by the pound take more space and may need a bigger box. but we can figure that out later on.

i'll get with brewguyver to get a spread sheet going.
in the meantime go to yakimavalleyhops.com to see what they have.

Money Order mailed today, with luck you'll have it in Monday's mail.

Thanks for the effort and quick turn around on his re-fire of #3!

jags0401 said:
Has group buy #4 been opened yet?

Hophead created the sheet, but I've been afk since. It'll open tonight. Also kicking off a hop sheet with coyote - that should be out tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

There's a thread open for #4 - post away!

Shipping tomorrow - we *should* be all set for Saturday pickup!

I've only heard from one person so far that can't do Saturday - please shoot me a note and let me know when you think you'd be picking up. Morning is better, but I realize some of you have a long drive.

Outstanding boss!! Ill be there around ten or so with mr cattle punk and probably hang with mr hophead for the better part of the day. If you need anything please let me know.

fredtheseal said:
What's the earliest we can show up? I'd like to get it done & out of the way early so I can brew later that day.

8 AM is preferred, but I can get there earlier if you need me to. I can always drop by and get you set up and come back around for everyone else.

I'm looking at around 8:30-9:00 am It's about a 50 mile drive for me. any special things we need to do or go to when we get there?

Outstanding boss!! Ill be there around ten or so with mr cattle punk and probably hang with mr hophead for the better part of the day. If you need anything please let me know.

PM'ed you about interest in a potential tailgating spot. Let me know tonight or tomorrow so I can email the owner. We *could* do it in the street, but the five-oh frown on that sort of thing ;).

Anyone else interested?

I'm looking at around 8:30-9:00 am It's about a 50 mile drive for me. any special things we need to do or go to when we get there?

If you got splits, I recommend bringing something to put the grain in (Homer buckets from Home Depot?) and potentially a bathroom scale. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate - as long as everyone's grain weighs the same, we're good. I'll have a scale as well, but it has a 12# capacity.

I'll shoot my cellphone out to everyone on Friday - call me if you need directions. There's parking next to the storage facility and it's pretty easy to find once you're on Carson St. in Southside. Just turn up 22nd Street (away from the river) and go up 3 blocks. Building is on the corner of 22nd and Mary.

Hey guys! A couple of us were thinking of bringing a keg down to share with everybody if there's interest. Right now we have three different styles to try, a black pale ale, a hefewizen, and an alt. They're all, all grain and very refreshing after an hour or so lugging sacks around. Let me or hophead know if there's any interest. If not, maybe we can try for round four. Cheers!

Hey guys! A couple of us were thinking of bringing a keg down to share with everybody if there's interest. Right now we have three different styles to try, a black pale ale, a hefewizen, and an alt. They're all, all grain and very refreshing after an hour or so lugging sacks around. Let me or hophead know if there's any interest. If not, maybe we can try for round four. Cheers!

I was thinking that it would be a cool idea to try to swap some beers during these group buys. I've got a bunch of honey-do chores planned for Saturday so I cant hang out for a while but I can bottle a few Amber IPAs off the keg that is just close to fully carbonated if anyone is interested on trying them.

I'd love to sample some others as well.

I may have a few bottles to share as well, and have a corney with a black ESB that I could bring down.

BTW - I got the OK on using space outside the old Duquesne brew house - either their parking on Mary St. or in the lot next to the storehouse building. Anyone have an awning type tent they can bring in case it rains?

I'm also going to email them a simple invitation to join us - there are some cool artists etc. in the building that might stop by.

Alas, I have nothing to share. I haven't been able to brew since the end of September and that batch suffered a lacto infection. So I'm out of beer, I'm really glad to be picking up grain. Add a new primary fermenter and I'm ready to go!

Man, I wish I had thought to save some beer to share. A few weeks ago we had a "kick the keg" party because I had 6 partial kegs I needed to drain.

Alas, I have nothing to share. I haven't been able to brew since the end of September and that batch suffered a lacto infection. So I'm out of beer, I'm really glad to be picking up grain. Add a new primary fermenter and I'm ready to go!

Man, I wish I had thought to save some beer to share. A few weeks ago we had a "kick the keg" party because I had 6 partial kegs I needed to drain.

There's always the next one. Get brewing, and we can do some tasting and trades after the next one.

Outstanding brewguyver!! Outstanding!

We *might* be moving from outside into the brew house gallery. That will require a few approvals from the co-op members. Either way, it should be a good time.

I have a partial keg of Black ESB and may have a keg of NZ inspired pale ale (depends on carb levels). I'll bring down one of those and a few bottles.

What's the plan for keeping kegs cold and on CO2? Do you have a mini-system or are you bringing a full tank/regulator?

We just use ice a picnic tap and the co2 carts. If its still this cold tomorrow cold beer shouldn't be much of a problem. The next DIY around our group will probably be a jockey box.

Back