Mr. Beer First Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/...Bohemian_Czech_Pilsner/section/flavor_profile

It sounds like success to me! Your first beer, looks good, smells good, and it's drinkable. Nice!

Welcome to the addiction (hobby?)!

Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.

Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.

Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.

Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.

Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.

Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.

My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :)

Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?

Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.

Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?

Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.

These three Items may very well be connected. If you've been reading books and this forum now, I'm sure you've come to realize that even though Mr. Beer is a WONDERFUL way to get started making beer there are a lot of things they intentionally leave out to keep the process as simple as possible. Using measurements instead of, or at very least, in conjunction with time is one of the biggies. There goal (and that of most that begin brewing this way, myself included) is to make drinkable beer as quick as possible. The "fusels" you're tasting may just be the result of being too young (the beer, not you), and may very well go away in time. Patients you will find is your ally, but is certainly hard to come by in the beginning. Once you learn to let your beer tell you its done (hydrometer readings and taste etc) instead of a calendar or clock, you'll find yourself with better beer even if you follow the same recipe's.

BTW - No. Unfortunately you wont be able to get your current ABV without gravity readings, before and after fermentation. At least not without some hefty lab equipment....

My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :)

I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose. :ban:

Higher temperatures during the fermentation will get you fusel alcohols. Once there they may mellow a bit with age but never really go away. Keep the temperature down in the mid to lower 60's for the next batch and see if you like the results.

I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose. :ban:

I like the smell even more since starting all grain, the grain mashing in the mash tun smells great.

Higher temperatures during the fermentation will get you fusel alcohols. Once there they may mellow a bit with age but never really go away. Keep the temperature down in the mid to lower 60's for the next batch and see if you like the results.

Thanks.

Who ever invents the fusel removal additive will be a millionaire. Or rather fusel conditioner.

So today I am going to let the guests try the Mr Beer brew. But, I am not going to mention the 'headache' word. I am just gonna talk about how its a European beer and is supposed to taste a bit strong. :)

I want to hear the feedback. I want to know if anyone complains.

I want to know if its just me or the beer. Im sure someone will love it. With that guy I'll send him home with a few bottles.

I'll fill you all in on the taste testing tonight.

Depends on yeast used....but as a general statement.....definately YES....that is high on temp side to ferment......definately could get some fusel alcohols.....with any beer...Mr. Beer extract recipe, all grain, etc.....

Keep in mind he is using the proprietary Mr. Beer yeast and is intended to be used under normal household temps. I'm think low 60's may stall it out....ya think?
One of the first (and best) "experiments" I did while using the Mr. Beer kits was to throw away the yeast pack and pitch US-05. Mid 60's = perfect!

Well... tonight, I chilled the beer for several hours... last night stuck the warm beer in the freezer and drank it quicker.

Anyway, it tasted good tonight. I read the intended taste and it is supposed to have a taste like I am tasting.

Everyone liked it and no one complained.

One guy said it was strong... which is what I thought last night. According to Mr. Beer the ABV is only 3.7. So either the taste of the ingredients are bold, or the fusels are high (my opinion).

But for me, on a second night, I found it very drinkable.

All in all I call it a success for my 1st time... even though it was a Mr. Beer.

Yes, definitely from my limited experience with mr beer recipeS, time plus time and then a little more time. A good week in the fridge seemed to do wonders for me. I bought a mr beer off groupon for the sole purpose of acquiring an Lbk. But the deal included several ingredient kits so of course I brewed it up. Only got better with time. From crap, to drinkable to delicious. PersonAlly I have spent more time researching brewing in the last four months thn I ever spent studying in college. And I think the mr beer concept is nice to simplify brewing for the new brewer but as it is now, I don't bother with their recipe directions and I do it with my personal touches. And among those touches I add a dash of extra time. There are even some great videos online how to beer up a mr beer recipe. Toss the booster, steep some grains and add some hops. Even the HME extract they sell is just not hoppy enough for my tastes but the beer is a hit for my family who doesn't have the hop infatuation I have. So have fun with it. I am currently of the mind set that I need several batches going at once, so when I have the problem of beer not quite to peak , I throw it in the fridge and open another bottle from another batch. I hate beer shortage! Worst case lll go to the store and find a micro brew on sale and continue to be the family beer snob. But Iove being that snob, cuz it's delicious!

Lol, are you married? My wife says it smells like a feed store.. and I think it smells delicious. I to stick my head over the boiling wort and just breathe in all its goodness. I also like to make her smell my beers and her response is always "It smells like beer." She just doesn't understand... poor soul.

Lol, are you married? My wife says it smells like a feed store.. and I think it smells delicious. I to stick my head over the boiling wort and just breathe in all its goodness. I also like to make her smell my beers and her response is always "It smells like beer." She just doesn't understand... poor soul.

The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.

Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/...Bohemian_Czech_Pilsner/section/flavor_profile

here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.

btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle

here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.

btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle

Well put

The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.

I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.

I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.

Back to rule number one of most households. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"!

I still have my Mr beer. I'm not ashamed to say I still use it once in awhile. Its great for a couple of brews they have, but for much better beer.... I still brew in the pot. My family says it stinks , but as my wife found out if you stay in the kitchen it had a much more pleasant aroma...

Back