Hurricane Sandy casualties?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
Lost power for exactly 2 days. I was wondering if my 2 corny kegs of homebrew no longer good?

Temps in side the kegerator reached 55 degrees. I got power back 2 hours ago and temp is down to 42 degrees.

I am hoping they are not a loss, but if they are, I am sure it could have been worse. Seeing as the Jersey shore is totaled and most areas of the state look like bombs were dropped.

Thanks,

Joe

Do not worry about it. You are A-Ok with the keg.

So the brew warmed up. So what. Think about it. You buy a 6 pack of some beer and let it sit on the counter for a few days.

Wow... You stick it in the fridge and chill it. It is A-OK after it gets cold.

Same thing with a keg. There is no way that anything can really change the beer in the keg as it is a sealed container.

Don't sweat it. It is still good.

P-J

Just the information I need. I live at the jersey shore (about 2 miles from the beach, luckily outside the devastation) and still without power. Took the gas off the beer and left the keg in the fridge. Hopefully we get power in the next couple of days and can get my pumpkin ale back to temperature.

I'm just glad you east coast guys made it through where you could still worry about your brews. :tank:

Rick

I have English Bitter in my keezer now and I keep it around 50 F. Now worries about temp. I might worry in the middle of summer if you had them stored in 110 F.

I can see the bay from my house. Luckly, Im high enough in elevation that we didn't get flooded. Every waterfront around me is TOAST. It's a nightmare around here. The place I work, Long Beach Island, Is a TOTAL MESS. It may be another week before I can get on that island. I have a DFH brew fermenting in my temp controlled freezer. 2 beer fridges and 1 household fridge. I knew it would be ok even if we lost power.....we did for about 24 hours. Everything is good!

My mother-in-law has a house in Lake Como (South Belmar.) We haven't been able to get down there to access any damage. With what I have seen on the news, I don't think I want to.

BTW, I am "testing" the kegs right now and everything is fine.

I drove past lake como on my way home. 35 seemed flooded so I had to take the side street down 71. But that area away from the shark river seemed fine.

Well lost power here near the shore again! Does cider follow the same rules as beer? Just kegged it Tuesday after gaining power. So it was in the fridge cooling at 39 degrees now its warming back up.

I'm sorry you guys had to experience that storm and hope you can pick up the pieces soon. But a hot beer is better than no beer. And if you can get a bag or two of ice you can always put a keg in a bucket of ice water for partyin.....erm emergencies.

Back