Advice Needed: Rhizomes Not Growing After Almost 4 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I planted 2 rhizomes on 6/21 to just get some growth for next season. These were purchased from a known and reputable company. Prior to this I've grown rhizomes in HD Homer Buckets and they grew fine.

I used the same soil and planted each new rhizome horizontally about 1.5" deep (from the top of the soil), roots facing downward and majority of sprouts facing upwards.

The first few days we did have a rain storm and they may have gotten a little extra water as a result but my starter pots have plenty of holes for drainage.

Since its been almost 4 weeks with no signs of growth, should I dig them up and examine or reposition?

Any additional advice is welcome. Thanks.

Just dug them up today and sure enough, they were mushy and appear to have been rotted. I'm guessing the excess rain we've had in NJ the past month is what did it as I was careful not to overwater.

When they are in containers they can get overwatered very easily, espcially before they actually start growing in the containers. Next time, if you know it is going to rain, I would cover the containers during the rain so they do not get any rain water and then water yourself so that you can regulate exactly how much water they get. What variety did you have?

If you still want to give hops a chance I'd suggest buying a crown from great lake hops. For about 2-3 $$ more you'd get an established plant!! Now would be a good time to plant too, you wouldn't hops this year but you'd allow the roots to establish themselves.

Back