I find Facebook to be...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
...totally freaking incomprehensible! :mad:

Is it just me? Is it because I'm old? Is it because I'm drunk? :drunk:

I mean, I used to be fairly computer literate, but I can't figure out how to do anything on this piece of crap site. I don't even think there is really anything to do...it's all just a big scam, like the emperor's new clothes, and arrogant bastard. :confused:

You're not the only one. I understand the site, and I think it's a useful tool for keeping in contact with old friends or making new business connections, but I don't like the site.

I feel that sites like facebook are only hurting the generation of kids being brought up now. I can't even count how many times I've seen groups of 12-16 year olds sitting at a restaraunt, and every one of them is on their phones. Not one of them is talking to eachother. It's like they can't socialize face to face anymore.

You're not the only one. I understand the site, and I think it's a useful tool for keeping in contact with old friends or making new business connections, but I don't like the site.

I feel that sites like facebook are only hurting the generation of kids being brought up now. I can't even count how many times I've seen groups of 12-16 year olds sitting at a restaraunt, and every one of them is on their phones. Not one of them is talking to eachother. It's like they can't socialize face to face anymore.

They're talking to each other; just not verbally. :eek:

My opinion, be a stalker not a poster. And if you have the idea of posting on FB while drinking run over here and do it instead! We expect the occasional drunken diatribe and keep it in the brother/sisterhood. Over there you may regret it in the morning :).

My opinion, be a stalker not a poster. And if you have the idea of posting on FB while drinking run over here and do it instead! We expect the occasional drunken diatribe and keep it in the brother/sisterhood. Over there you may regret it in the morning :).

This spans for all generations. I've hidden literally half my facebook friends stupid posts, and my parents' news feeds are full of embarassing stuff.

Facebook is really a great tool for sending event invites and keeping in touch with people. The downside is a good chunk of your facebook friends are lame.

I use FB occasionally. The infrequent post of anything interesting or funny, or important. But there was a lot of "crap" being posted by friends and family when it first got started. Lame stuff. Like, do you REALLY want people to know what you are thinking? Most of them have wised up. It's like they have no concept of *PERSONAL* information.

And there are way too many dangerous apps.

But for keep in touch, it's pretty nice. The core is worth using, it's all of the extraneous garbage that you can do that makes it suck.

They're talking to each other; just not verbally. :eek:

preface - I hate facebook and don't use it...

However, I'm an internet kid in that I was an early adopter and so were all my friends (rather than beign a teen now and being surrounded by a world of internet). My parents used to always say "why don't you go out and socialize with your friends?" to which I'd reply "All my friends are in this game. Darryl and I just shot Trevor with a rocket launcher".

I deleted mine about 2 months ago after a crazy cousin pissed me off with her gossip. Its a shame because Facebook can be awesome for keeping in touch with people you would otherwise not speak to, but unfortunately, most people use it as a personal soapbox or data-mining tool to create gossip.

We're still technically in the beginning of the social-networking age so hopefully something more refined comes out geared towards adults and maturity.

We're still technically in the beginning of the social-networking age so hopefully something more refined comes out geared towards adults and maturity.

Like the new facial recognition software Facebook is going to be rolling out in the next few weeks, with no opt out option? :eek:

I deleted mine about 2 months ago after a crazy cousin pissed me off with her gossip. Its a shame because Facebook can be awesome for keeping in touch with people you would otherwise not speak to, but unfortunately, most people use it as a personal soapbox or data-mining tool to create gossip.

I still have my account. I keep threatening to delete it. I quit posting anyting of use becuse of the gossip thing.

I think there are really only 10 people I really care to keep up with. Oh, and the other thing that bothers me. Is the person you meet once and they send you a friend invite. WTH is that all about? Just becuse we had a corrdial conversation doesn't mean I want to connect with you on facebook.

Now if you were a college kid, those people could be potential "hookups".

There are many people, friends of friends and even relatives of mine that I don't friend. I keep my friends list small and have even dropped some due to their stupidity and posting tone. Because I could honestly not care less about my friend's 8 yo. daughter's status. updated every 10 minutes.

Or if half of your posts are stupid hip hop song lyrics.

I pruned my list by 20 to 30 people over the last year. I think it's about time to do it again.

Like the new facial recognition software Facebook is going to be rolling out in the next few weeks, with no opt out option? :eek:

There is in fact an opt out option. You have to go under account settings - privacy - stuff friends share and the opt out option is there.

To be honest, I like Facebook. I can't always see all my friends or talk to them on the phone, but it is nice to still be able to stay in touch. I'm only 20, turning 21 soon - maybe it's just a part of my generation to be into things like this. I can see the value the website has for so many people, but I also have a lot of issues with their so called "privacy policies".

Also, you have to do a lot of work to opt out of Facebook once you are registered, and if you aren't careful to watch your privacy setting they sometimes revert to all open.

There is a lot of crap on there, but then again I see and hear a lot of crap in the real world as well. Not much different, but it is easier to ignore the BS on Facebook than it is to ignore it elsewhere. I believe this has now become a wall of text, it's late and I'm tired.

Now if you were a college kid, those people could be potential "hookups".

There are many people, friends of friends and even relatives of mine that I don't friend. I keep my friends list small and have even dropped some due to their stupidity and posting tone. Because I could honestly not care less about my friend's 8 yo. daughter's status. updated every 10 minutes.

Or if half of your posts are stupid hip hop song lyrics.

This is the key to actually utilizing facebook. After someone posts a few things that I find irritating, or they just post too much, I delete them. I've deleted good friends, family (including siblings), and anyone else. For some reason no one seems to mind when you tell them, "Sorry, I'm just keeping it to the people I want to converse with daily." I've also had people delete me because they didn't care about what I post. Cool! You can't take internet relationships too seriously.

As far as a new social networking site coming out for more "mature" folks, I think it's much more likely that facebook will mature as my generation, and the younger ones grow older. We forget that we were all 18, and most of us have changed since then. What seems likely to me is the facebook will become the mature site, and there will be a new one for the younger folks.

As far as a new social networking site coming out for more "mature" folks, I think it's much more likely that facebook will mature as my generation, and the younger ones grow older. We forget that we were all 18, and most of us have changed since then. What seems likely to me is the facebook will become the mature site, and there will be a new one for the younger folks.

I find this hard to believe. I have borne witness to plenty of immaturity and stupidities on Facebook coming from the older generation. I believe it has to do with the relaxed attitude of the site - which is perfectly fine. We all seem to have forgot along the way that Facebook started as a website to interact with your peers, share what is on your mind and just generally pass the time. We can't hold it up to the standards of a professional business website, that is not what the majority of the users are on there for. It is nice that businesses, bands, artists and all types of entrepreneurial types have spaces provided to them on Facebook, but by and large that is not what it was created for. I guess it all comes down to weeding out your friends list. Block, hide, or delete all the people that post things that are irrelevant to you - but don't expect the site to ever change from what it fundamentally is. Think of it as a giant never ending social gathering. Sure you will have people at your party that want to talk about business and music, but the majority of the folks are just there to have a good time, gossip and share whats on their mind to whoever will listen.

That's a pretty good point. I often forget that moronism is rampant in all generations, and social sites bring out the most egotistical of us. I think the point is to control who you interact with, just like we generally do in "real" life. I think people forget that they have a lot of control over who is at their internet "party". I don't hang out with a-holes in "real" life, why would I online?
:mug:

I use FB regularly and mostly enjoy it but can do without all of the time wasting games and diversions that are on it. I have reconnected with a lot of old friends and keep in touch with people who I don't see or talk to very often but still like to touch base with. I do find it amusing though that I've gotten friend requests from about a half dozen old girlfriends whom I never hear from again once they see that I'm married.

That's a pretty good point. I often forget that moronism is rampant in all generations, and social sites bring out the most egotistical of us. I think the point is to control who you interact with, just like we generally do in "real" life. I think people forget that they have a lot of control over who is at their internet "party". I don't hang out with a-holes in "real" life, why would I online?
:mug:

Exactly! It is all about maintaining that exclusive VIP list. Get a big beefy bouncer at the door to your internet party. Problem solved. Make sure he has one of those earpieces though...you know which I'm talking about...the ones with the curly cord that they put two fingers to and look all super serious. Shades are also a must.

I do find it amusing though that I've gotten friend requests from about a half dozen old girlfriends whom I never hear from again once they see that I'm married.

That is what is called the power of being a pimp. Let your wife message them for you..hahaha

Uh, you do realize that you can just block posts from people?? You didn't have to delete your whole account. I blocked posts from my niece because i got sick of reading how her life was a fairy tale- she has the best job in the world, the best husband in the world, etc. Made me wanna puke.

I have a FB account, but not too many friends. I've "unfriended" people who post stupid stuff, and also blocked farmville and all that other stuff. It's actually pretty nice now!

My first account (under a fake name) got deleted for some reason or another. Now I'm on again (with another fake name) and am going strong. Facebook isn't that smart.

I don't necessarily want to delete some of the annoying people. I figure some of them actually have to start getting back to their real lives eventually and will stop posting 10+ times a day. Those habitual posters I actually feel sorry for. I think they got no life personally.

The most annoying ones are my generation (40s & most female), I got a fair amount of 20 something yr old friends and they do not post nearly as often.

But the worst I got now, is someone created a High School Reunion page (HS no longer exists). OMFG I can't believe how many still live through their past! That feed I had to hide.

heard something in a news story how fb was responsible for a lot of divorces these days, and I can relate. my wife got a little carried away with that **** and I'm not into it at all. caused a bit of ruckus around here... F##K face book! :mad:

Most of my postings are brewing-related updates for a few friends that keep track of what I'm making. Everyone besides those few just thinks I'm an alcoholic.

But yeah, the people that post song lyrics every 30 minutes or bait for attention with things like "why did I do this..." go on the "do not show" list.

Latest posts

Back