Whats the best Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
Whats the best Thermometer? I had a floating one but it mettled and its now broke. I had a lab thermometer and ... I dropped it and broke it. I have been using a dial thermometer but it has been dropped in boiling wort and is now not calibrated and warped. I would like a digital one with a probe. Also one with a wire that I can stick in my mash tun would be nice. I may buy a new dial one to stick on my HLT lid.

Thanks for any help!

Whats the best Thermometer? I had a floating one but it mettled and its now broke. I had a lab thermometer and ... I dropped it and broke it. I have been using a dial thermometer but it has been dropped in boiling wort and is now not calibrated and warped. I would like a digital one with a probe. Also one with a wire that I can stick in my mash tun would be nice. I may buy a new dial one to stick on my HLT lid.

Thanks for any help!

I'm just replying because I'm watering at the mouth waiting for opinions.

I currently use an analog thermometer I got at Target. It gets me by but I want something better and not expensive or fragile.

:mug:

I don't know whats the best, but I hate my Taylor 9842 waterproof thermometer. It has no auto off and I basically have to replace the battery each brew day.

Thermapen! The best in my opinion. Its a bit spendy, but you can use it in the kitchen and the brewery. Its a great tool.

If you get one of these:
86460_03%20_05.jpg

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003&pfx=

Then you can put one of these:
TC-K100MMNPTa.jpg

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=109

In each of the vessels you want to measure the temperature, and you can just plug the reader into each probe for an instant accurate reading.

Thermapen! The best in my opinion. Its a bit spendy, but you can use it in the kitchen and the brewery. Its a great tool.

This. And I use it in both places, too. It rocks for baking as well as brewing. I still have the old foot-long dial thermometer that came with my kit, and it sits in the boil pot during chilling, but for all my other brewing needs, it's Thermapen all the way. $100 well spent.

Thanks for any help!

I think you need to invest in one of these since you keep dropping them :D
69032Pic300.jpg

...I had a lab thermometer...!

Honestly, despite the fact they dont float and are fragile, it is my opinion that they are the most accurate type. If its good enough for a lab, it is good enough for my brews.

Any thermometer made of glass will break if dropped.

The thermopen is nice, but limited. I use the MTC instead. It is really accurate, durable and I have three different probes. I use it for brewing and cooking and I intend on purchasing a few more probes so I can use it while BBQ'ing.

I cannot recommend Thermoworks enough. I had an earlier model of theirs that stopped working. The support staff was simply outstanding. The malfunctioning unit was replaced without any question and they threw in a few extra probes to make up the difference in price between what I paid and the cost of the replacement. You can likely find cheaper equipment on the web, but I don't think you can find better service at the price.

Thermoworks makes the RT600C which is fast and accurate for about $25. I doesn't fold like the Thermapen, but it is much cheaper. The cheaper one works good for me, but if you want to keep it in your pocket all the time, the Thermapen may be worth the extra money.

They also have many models with wired probes of different types at reasonable prices.

Just a quick question, ive seen a lot of infra-red thermometers about lately. And seen a few people here use them.

Are they any good? Anyone have experience with these? Im in the UK, and done a quick search for thermapen, and there's a sale on and i can pick one up for around £25, and the infra-red ones are about £20.

+1 for Thermapen

I went through about 6 thermometers (floating, dial, digital) trying to get accurate, repeatable results. I did several calibrations with boiling/ice water. Now with the thermapen, I don't worry about temps any more. It's quick, easy, and accurate.

I don't recall the thread, but someone mentioned the theory that you have to pick two: fast, good, & cheap...but you can't have all three.

I use the Fluke 52 II and love it. It will measure two temps simultaneously, does max, min, average, and you can use any thermocouples with it (Type, J, K, T, and E).

I agree with Musick with a twist I got a lab thermometer $4 and a relatively inexpensive digital unit from Target. I took various reading with both units at between 150* - 185* F

Then using a Sharpie I wrote the indicated digital temp X = Y temp from the lab thermometer for the mash temps I use right on the digital unit and made a little note book with other temps that might come in handy from time to time. After that i put the lab themometer up and if the digital unit craps out or I drop it in the wort I'm out $12 and I'll get another one and go thru the calibration process again.

I like expensive gagets as much as anyone but I also get a certain sense of satisfaction by thinking of ways to save my hard earn cash.

what is your source for that 4$ lab thermometer?
a 2000ml flask and 0-200C Lab Thermometer from "Lab Depot, Inc" is ~22$, but they want 25$ for UPS shipping! Ebay's stock is less promising, there are lots out there with 150F max.

what is your source for that 4$ lab thermometer?
a 2000ml flask and 0-200C Lab Thermometer from "Lab Depot, Inc" is ~22$, but they want 25$ for UPS shipping! Ebay's stock is less promising, there are lots out there with 150F max.

Williams Brewing sells a 0-230 F glass lab type thermometer for $5.90, but you will still be required to pay shipping. Whenever I buy online, I usually order some other stuff so the shipping is not as painful. Most LHBS will stock something similar. I use one as a benchmark for my digitals.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/0-230_GLASS_THERMOMETER_P552C102.cfm

You got to be quick on the draw in this town.

Here's another option and the price is right. I've been using one for years and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/SELF-CALIBRATING_DIGITAL_P1434C102.cfm

The short, fixed probe limits its usefulness just like the Thermopen, but otherwise it's a good one. I've accidentally dropped it into 165 F strike water and it did no harm. I've checked it against the glass thermometer and it's always dead on. It can be user calibrated too, but I've never found it necessary to do so. It uses a commonly available button type battery and it lasts a long time. It also has an auto shut off feature. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Thermoworks makes the RT600C which is fast and accurate for about $25. I doesn't fold like the Thermapen, but it is much cheaper. The cheaper one works good for me, but if you want to keep it in your pocket all the time, the Thermapen may be worth the extra money.

They also have many models with wired probes of different types at reasonable prices.

Thanks man - I just ordered this.

Back