HLT size for my electric brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
Well, my basement electric brewery is coming along. So far I have hard plumbed my counter flow chiller and cut off the lid to a Sanke, installed a 4500 watt element and all fittings have tig welded:) Looks great. The next step is deciding what to do for a HLT and Mashtun. Elevation is a problem because my base has a lower than normal ceiling. I want the ability to do 10 gallon batches someday but will most likely stick with 5 for a while. Because I propane free reheating the HLT and Mash are not an option so I guess I am stuck with using 2 coolers right? I know the mash cooler should be a 10 gallon but what about the HLT? I have never done all grain before so I don't know how water is needed to sparge. Because of my elevation problem I have considered using a rectangular cooler for mashing...thoughts on that?
If anyone is interested in knowing more about my electric brew kettle please ask and I can send pictures and give you some good websites.

Thanks

I don't have any advice for you but I am interested in pictures and info. I'm doing the exact same thing come this summer, though I do plan on making a three keg system.

Thanks for the help,
Eric
[email protected]

Hot Lauter Tun. In the simplest definition, this is where the sparge water is stored.

For a glossary of brew terms, click on the Wiki listed near the top of the page.

Hot Lauter Tun. In the simplest definition, this is where the sparge water is stored.

For a glossary of brew terms, click on the Wiki listed near the top of the page.

Actually its "Hot Liqour Tun". Lauter Tun is entirely different.

I like the rectangular coolers for HLT and MT, their low height reduces the overall height for a three tier. I'm not all that tall to begin with, and I have no desire to use a stepladder for brewing.
HPIM0599.jpg

If you plan on using an electric element to heat the HLT you will want a 10 gallon cooler. If you are mounting the element from the bottom you will want as much volume as possible above the element. If the element is on and gets exposed to air you will have a catastrophic failure.

If you go with a second keg (or other metal container) as your HLT you can mount the element from the side.

Or you can pick up a pump and build a single or double tier and alleviate your height issues all together.

Back