Lemon Zest in Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I just brewed a big batch of wheat beer, 5 gallons for one keg, and 3 gallons for another.

The big batch is going to be a cherry wheat and is fermenting with US-05. The little batch will be an American Hefe made with Danstar Munich.

After the primary dies down in a week or so, I'm thinking about addings some lemon zest to the BB. What is the best method to do that?

I've always put it in at flameout. Guess in your case, big shotglass with the zest - topped off with vodka.

Edit: rocketman what's significant about waiting till liquid is yellow? I thought the vodka was just a sterilizer.

-OCD

Will the zest of one lemon be enough for a 3.5 gallon batch? I want just a hint of lemon, I don't want it to take over.

Guess I will try the vodka soak idea, thanks for the advice.

Will the zest of one lemon be enough for a 3.5 gallon batch? I want just a hint of lemon, I don't want it to take over.

Guess I will try the vodka soak idea, thanks for the advice.

My brothers and I brewed up a Sam Summer clone that called for 1 oz of lemon zest in the boil. I believe we needed 2 or 3 lemons to get that 1 oz. Not sure you'll want less than 1 oz.

Back