Request for Honey Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk Monkey

Reaction score
I am looking for a recipe for a honey beer. Partial mash and has to be an ale, so I would assume golden/blonde ale. I am not set up for AG or lagers.
If anyone is familiar with Rock Bottom beers, they have a good honey beer that I would like to get something close to.

Thanks.

I brew a canadian ale with honey. It's a partial mash.

1 3.3# can light malt extract
2 #s light spray malt
1/2# cara pils grain
1/2#canadian 2-row barley

Boiling hops are 1 oz Willamette hop pellets
Aroma hops are also 1 oz Willamete
Yeast is White labs California Ale yeast
1 1/2 # honey

place grains in muslin bag and tie the end. Put 1 1/2 gallons cold water into brew kettle. Add the grains and slowly bring temp up to 150 degrees. Hold 10 minutes at this temp. Place strainer over pot. Rinse grains with 1/2 gallon hot water and then discard grains.

Add malt extracts and bring to boil. Add boiling hops and continue to boil for 28 minutes. After 28 minutes add the honey. Let boil for 2 more minutes then shut off, add the aroma hops, turn the heat off and let stand, covered for 2 minutes.

Cool wort and add to fermenter with water for a total of 5 gallons. Aerate and add the yeast, cover and ferment 5-7 days.

Rack to secondary and add Champagne yeast to finish. Leave in secondary for another week. After that I keg it, condition it, and serve it.

Probably not exactly what you asked for but it's a golden honey ale. :rockin:

You might toss a couple ounces of sliced ginger root into the last 10 mins of boil just for fun, if that sounds appealing to you. I've got one in secodary right now & is looking real good.

I just brewed one that is extremely light. Just racked it to the secondary Saturday and it has a very pronounced grapefruit flavor from the cascade hops. I'm sure it will mellow with some aging and conditioning in the keg. Mine was all grain but here is an extract version. It may not be what you are looking for but something to consider.

3 Pounds Muntons Extra light LME
1/2 Pounds Light DME
1/2 pound 40° crystal malt for steeping
2 pounds Honey

1/2 oz. Cascade hops 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Cascade hops 30 minutes

Yeast Wyeast 1056 American Ale
OG approx. 1.046
Alcohol approx 5% by volume

RichBrewer said:
it has a very pronounced grapefruit flavor from the cascade hops.
Since I am not fond of grapefruit, do you have any hop alternative suggestions. I have only made 4 beers so far and have not yet gotten into the effects of different types of hops.

Drunk Monkey said:
Since I am not fond of grapefruit, do you have any hop alternative suggestions. I have only made 4 beers so far and have not yet gotten into the effects of different types of hops.
I am far from a hop expert myself but you might consider Fuggles, Kent Goldings, and Willamette. They are all supposed to be good flavor and aroma hops.
Hopefully some experts out there can give you some more suggestions.

I found this recipe and am going to try it:
Honey Ale

5 # pale malt extract

2# honey

1/2 # honey malt

1/2# carapils

2 oz Saaz (3.1%) 60 min

1 oz Saaz 5 min

I am not sure if the malt extract is liquid or dried though.

Just following up on my previous recipe. The Champagne yeast made a big difference in finishing the Canadian Ale with honey. It's now crisper/ smoother and doesn't have that leftover sweetness. Oh..and it's got a bigger kick!:rockin:

I made a stout with a 4 lb. LME can and 12 oz. of honey in a 2 Gallon Mr. Beer. It was so delicious that I made a new one for a 5 gallon recipe. I used two cans connoisseur's export stout Hopped LME, 36 oz. Honey, 1.26 lb honey malt and 1.02 lb. Carmel 120. The first one is gone and the second is just in the fermenter now. I would give you a link for the LME but I cannot find it online. I purchased it at Midwest Supplies - Homebrewing and Winemaking
I cannot wait.
Happy Brewing and Merry Christmas!:mug:

Back