Really stoopid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Racking first mead to secondary today. My auto siphon has a red cap on the end. Do I leave that on for the siphon? It seems like it might help keep out more lees. Pictures:

With cap.jpg

Without.jpg

Cap stays on. If you hit the bottom during racking, you won't siphon the yeast/trub.

I love those caps... they crown down to the bottom so the LOWEST level of liquid you are picking up is still above the trub. Works GREAT to siphon beer off the trub and leave MINIMAL beer/trub juice at the bottom.

Pretty much every homebrew shop sells replacement caps. It's just one of those parts that always seems to get lost.

Well now I feel dumb. I threw those caps out didnt realize they should stay on.

Well some people take them off and toss them on purpose, not everyone likes them. I for one, think they are great, I have never had an issue with trub whatsoever just using the cap as the guide to hit the bottom.

Pretty much every homebrew shop sells replacement caps. It's just one of those parts that always seems to get lost.

They love the garbage disposal!

Thanks all. I wasn't sure because it was red and looked like maybe a cheap packaging cap but it also looked like it could still siphon with it on. That clears it up!

Siphoning with cap on went off without a hitch. It worked great because the cap kept a lot of the loose leaf green tea leaves I had put in from transferring to the secondary as well.

Back