2.5 or 3 gal recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzger22

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find or how to calculate some two and a half gallon extract recipes? I'd like to brew my wife a batch but five gallons won't be neccessary and it will free up my fermenter for MY next brew.

Most brewing softwares will adjust for you (ProMash, BeerSmith, BeerTools, etc.).

More simply, all the ingredients for a 5-gallon recipe divided by 2 will give you a 2.5-gallon recipe.

Bike N Brew said:
Most brewing softwares will adjust for you (ProMash, BeerSmith, BeerTools, etc.).

More simply, all the ingredients for a 5-gallon recipe divided by 2 will give you a 2.5-gallon recipe.

HAHAHA. I already knew the common sense division (yeah, even down here in WV we learn that :cross: ) but I thought there was more to it than that.

Well, to make you feel better about your math skills- you don't divide the yeast package, use the whole package of yeast.

So, all other ingredients by 1/2- but a full package of yeast. You may get slightly better hops utilization but I wouldn't really worry about that.

Yeah, I don't consider better hop utilization a draw back. Cool, so everything by half except the yeast. I appreciate it guys.

There really isn't that much to altering the size of a recipe. Just be aware that its going to take the same effort to brew 2.5 gallons that it would take for 5. If that makes you sad, bump it up to 10 or 30 gallon batches, haha.

Atl300zx said:
would fermenting 3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket have too much head space?

For the secondary, go to Lowes and buy a 3 gallon jug of water and use that for your recipe. Then use the bottle for the secondary. It is a Type 1 plastic and is perfect.

Back