final gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
I brewed this recipie:
7 lbs row 2
1 lb crystal 40
2.5 lbs Honey
1 oz fugal

yest is White Labs California Super Yeast 090 I think...

Starting Gravity 1.059
final a week later 1.025
I havent brewed in a couple of years and I always remember getting down to 1.01.

Is this normal. I only used one vial like i always do. Should I throw another vial in or is it ready to bottle? I dont want glass time bombs...

The safest thing to do is to take another measurement in a couple of days to make sure your FG is stable. Many people will advocate to leave your beer in primary for 2-3 weeks before going any further. Most importantly is to make sure your gravity in stable before transferring to secondary or bottling. Welcome back!

I'd give it more time and check it before you get ready to bottle. I always leave my beers in primary for 4+ weeks before doing anything (whether I bottle or transfer to secondary). Also, if you are using liquid yeast, it is best to use a starter to get your yeasties multiplied and happy. If you don't want to use starters yet, just use some dry yeast.

WLP090 has seriously dropped off on quality since it was first released. It no longer performs as originally intended as I've had many attenuation/incomplete fermentation issues and the only suggestion I've received is to add amylase to finish fermentation...this was when I visited the White Labs factory in Mira Mesa that I voiced my complaints...

Until they get the strain back to the original "specs" I'd stick with the WLP001. For now, you might try to add some S-05 or another clean neutral strain to get you down to where you want to be.

Back