new flask,new yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a 1000mL erlenmyer flask at the lhbs yesterday. I'm boiling 800mL of water,& wondered if 1/2lb of extra light plain DME would be about right for a starter for one vial of WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast.

I have made successful starters using 1/2 cup of DME for every 1100ml of water (I account for water lost during boil) with some yeast nutrient and stir plate. Boil for 15 mins, chill, aerate, pitch yeast, and cap with sanitized aluminum foil. There are many recipes out there for yeast starters.

Thanks,used 1/2 the bag. then I realized I used the light instead of the extra light I'd wind up having a surplus of. Oh well,it's covered & cooling now. That vial of WLP029 looked about 3/4's full. The vials themselves are bigger than I thought they'd be. 1st liquid yeast use here. Just couldn't resist with the dark lager recipe from a member we're workin on. I can't lager yet,so this yeast being ale/kolsh that comes out clean & lager like seemed the way to go for me.

Well,I think I used too much DME in the starter. This morning it still has krausen & no yeast settled yet. I have to go get a replacement for the light DME bag I accidentally used for the starter. I need it for the beer I was gunna brew today. I hate to brew the beer,chill it,only to find the starter hasn't settled out yet.

Latest posts

Back