Thermometer suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
Any suggestions for waterproof thermometers. I like Keeping a probe in my mash tun, but have gone through at least three thermometers in the past year. All ended up going for a swim either in my sparge water or in the tun, and no I was not drinky during the brew. Any suggestions, other then don't be a ******* and keep your thermometer out of the water. Thanks

Not sure if you are looking for digital...but there was another recent thread on thermometers that has some good recos. THIS ONE seems to get top reviews but is also the most expensive, and splash proof, not necessarily full water proof.

There is a CDN - THIS ONE I believe that folks like. And I think you can get it from one of the forum sponsor's at a good price (BrewHardware). Always nice to support the sponsors. :)

I've typically used thermometers with a wire probe that I can keep in my mash to monitor the temp. Perhaps I just need to give in to the fact that I'm too clumsy to keep using these and just get a fixed probe thermometer.

I've typically used thermometers with a wire probe that I can keep in my mash to monitor the temp. Perhaps I just need to give in to the fact that I'm too clumsy to keep using these and just get a fixed probe thermometer.

Most of the wire probes on the thermometers are not meant to be submerged. Maybe you can make a waterproof well out of a length of copper tubing to keep one alive longer.

I visited the forums this morning specifically for this reason. To figure out what type of thermometer works well for brewing and what do you know, it was the top thread. I had major issues with my last brew tasting funky and couldn't figure it out, I'm guessing it was my mash. For my brew session yesterday I grabbed 2 thermometers and there was a 20 degree difference!! I figured it was time for a new one... Thanks for the suggestions Birdman.

Most of the wire probes on the thermometers are not meant to be submerged. Maybe you can make a waterproof well out of a length of copper tubing to keep one alive longer.

The probe is fine but it's the digital read out that keeps getting a bath.

There are two ways to waterproof a remote probe thermo. One is to bend the tube on the probe straight and put it down a long tube that you've crimped and soldered shut. The other is to force the probe into some narrow silicone tubing. If you buy a CDN DTTC from me, I'll include a length of the tubing you'll need.

The probe is fine but it's the digital read out that keeps getting a bath.

Well, that end is definitely a problem. I have not seen any wire probe thermometers where the readout end is waterproof. Maybe you could mount one inside a sealed clear plastic box and mount that somewhere that it will not get doused!

Back