I screwed up my first BIAB :( am i in trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
So i ALMOST forgot to do the mahout fort BIAB. I took the grain drained it and then set it in the sink. Then I remembered I needed to take the temp up to 170 before I mash out. So i took the bag and put it back in the pot and heated it up to 170. Am i going to get a **** ton of tannins because I messed up? How would you figure this would effect my wort?

Thanks,
Ben

While mash out is a good idea, it won't screw your beer if you forget to mashout with BIAB. I think if you put the bag back in while the wort was under 170 and raised the temp, you might be ok. I would be more concerned with what was in the sink you put the bag in. Hopefully you didn't have soap in there or some weird floaty. For me, when I mashout, I usually target 168 to give myself a 2 degree buffer before flirting with the too much tannin temps. RDWHAHB and see what happens. Right good notes and remember this for next time.

I wouldn't worry.

Mashout with the bag in is just to increase extraction of sugars from the grain when you drain the bag (the wort is more fluid at higher temps). Mashout also denatures enzymes and stops the conversion of sugars, but since with BIAB you just crank up the flame to the boil this happens anyway.

Enjoy!

Fantastic! thank you! I hit all of my marks so I think its going to be a good beer!

Half of the time I don't even bother with a mash-out and my beers turn out fine..perhaps a point or two dryer than predicted sometimes, but delicious nonetheless.

I always do the mash out step even though it isn't absolutely necessary. You are pulling the grains out after all. I have to heat it all up anyway so I leave the grains in until it hits 168 and then I pull and drain what I can out of the bag into another pot and pour it back into the kettle. I get 80%+ efficiency this way.

Back