Drill for Cereal Killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
I need a recommendation for a drill to use with the cereal killer or if someone could just post the specs of theirs that would be great. I have a 9v black and decker that won't move it at all. I borrowed a friends 18v drill and that did not work so well. I was able to get it to work a little by hitting it in spurts and only doing like a handful of grain at a time but I could not just fill the hopper and go. My mill is at the factory settings and so far my efficiency has been in the 80's as opposed to 72-75 with the LHBS crush. I have a harbor freight near me so something from them would be helpful.

stbnj said:
I need a recommendation for a drill to use with the cereal killer or if someone could just post the specs of theirs that would be great. I have a 9v black and decker that won't move it at all. I borrowed a friends 18v drill and that did not work so well. I was able to get it to work a little by hitting it in spurts and only doing like a handful of grain at a time but I could not just fill the hopper and go. My mill is at the factory settings and so far my efficiency has been in the 80's as opposed to 72-75 with the LHBS crush. I have a harbor freight near me so something from them would be helpful.

I would go to a big box store or a tool warehouse and get an electric drill that has probably a half inch drive that plugs in....i would venture to say that will handle what u need

stbnj said:

Mine is a dewalt and can handle just about anything. And it was under $100 about 6 years ago. Bosch also makes great equipment and tools...come to think of it i would go with the bosch

An 18 volt didn't work? I run my monster mill with a 14.4 v craftsman with a nearly shot battery.

DeWalt FTW! My 18v will tear through 20+ lbs of grain and have more than enough battery left to do manly stuff like cut a tree down with the recip saw from the same set.

I have the cereal killer and used my 19.2v Craftsman drill. I did adjust the gap though.

Thanks everyone! I am not sure if maybe the gap it too tight and that's why it is so tough to turn but my crush looks good and I've been hitting about 82% efficiency on my last few brews using the cereal killer. I will have to get one of these before my next brew day.

Back