Full Boil AND Late Extract Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
Well, I've done some searching and haven't really found a satisfying answer. I'm just about set up for full wort boils. Up until now I've been doing 4 gallon stovetop boils and using the late extract addition technique with very good results. I'm wondering if I should continue to utilize late extract additions with full boils?

Well, I've done some searching and haven't really found a satisfying answer. I'm just about set up for full wort boils. Up until now I've been doing 4 gallon stovetop boils and using the late extract addition technique with very good results. I'm wondering if I should continue to utilize late extract additions with full boils?

Yes...

My instinct is no, if you're starting with a 6.5 gallon boil. The reason is you'd be simulating the wort composition of the same batch of beer as an AG, so I don't see a real advantage to adding the extract late in a full boil.

My instinct is no, if you're starting with a 6.5 gallon boil. The reason is you'd be simulating the wort composition of the same batch of beer as an AG, so I don't see a real advantage to adding the extract late in a full boil.

Well I've thought about that too. But still, I would think it would be silly (and maybe even detrimental) to boil all of that extract for a full hour. I'd think I would still get some noticeable darkening if I boiled all the extract for a full hour, even with a 6-6.5 gallon boil.

Well I've thought about that too. But still, I would think it would be silly (and maybe even detrimental) to boil all of that extract for a full hour. I'd think I would still get some noticeable darkening if I boiled all the extract for a full hour, even with a 6-6.5 gallon boil.

exactly
, The extract has been boiled already in the manufacturing process. Boiling it again for the full time may darken it and add different (darker) flavors you may have not planned on. This may not be a factor in darker beers, but if your doing a lighter more delicate beer than a late addition boil is a must.

I boil 1/3 of my extract the whole time and the rest i add in the last 20- 30 minutes. With good results.

Yeah fixitoscar, Thats about the same amount of extract I have been boiling when doing partial boils. I think I'll stick with that method until I move on to partial mash.

Every IPA/APA I made when I started brewing a year ago(all 6+ gallon boils) was the same amber color when boiling the full amount of DME or LME. Late additions fixed that and saves on hop usage at the same time. Win, win.

Every IPA/APA I made when I started brewing a year ago(all 6+ gallon boils) was the same amber color when boiling the full amount of DME or LME. Late additions fixed that and saves on hop usage at the same time. Win, win.

Yeah, Im working on an APA recipe right now. The full boil & late extract addition definitely saves on hops.

Up until now I've been doing 4 gallon stovetop boils and using the late extract addition technique with very good results.

I'm sorry, but what is this late extract addition technique you guys are referring to? I'm not familiar.

I'm sorry, but what is this late extract addition technique you guys are referring to? I'm not familiar.

You add only about 1/4 of your extract at the beginning of the boil, saving the rest to add at 15 minutes. Some people will add it at 10,5, or even at flameout. I usually do it at 15 or 10 minutes left, depending on my hopping schedule. Adding the extract that late in the boil gives you a lower gravity wort, giving you better hop utilization. Also, you will experience less, or even no caramelization of the extract (especially in partial-volume boils). That way your beer ends up lighter and will have less of a risk of the dreaded extract twang. Also, I've found this method gives my beers better head formation/retention.

Gotcha. Thanks. So everything else goes by normal schedule...steeping, hops and additional sugars/adjuncts?

Does that apply to both liquid and dry extract?

Is this something that affects high gravity beers negatively? I'm assuming that it doesn't, because you're simply adding more extract.

I've always had a bit of an off flavor in my beers, almost every single time, and I could never figure out why. I think I'll give this a shot, see if it helps.

Everything else goes by normal schedule. However, you will get better hop utilization by doing the late extract method so you will need to decrease the amount of bittering hops you add. My suggestion is to get some brewing software like BeerSmith, enter in all of your recipe information as you have brewed in the past and note the IBUs. Then, take all but 1/4 of your extract and note it as 15-10 minute late addition time and adjust your bittering hop additions to bring the IBUs back down around their original number.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how this method would affect higher gravity beers in any way. Also, there is a good chance this will solve some of those off flavors in your beers. I've found that using the late extract addition method along with paying close attention to fermentation temperatures can give you stellar extract beers.

I downloaded BeerSmith a long time ago, when I was first getting into brewing. I ended up somewhere between intimidated and eyes glazed over. I never really gave it another look...probably should do that.

I've found that using the late extract addition method along with paying close attention to fermentation temperatures can give you stellar extract beers.

Can't hurt to give it a shot.

Back