Pomegranates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman300sd

Reaction score
So......I got a big bag of pomegranates (about 12) from a lady down the street and I want to do something fun with them. I don't know if I'm up for a lambic just yet as I only just started doing all grain batches and I doubt I have enough fruit. Still, I think I could do something pretty interesting with a fair amount of wheat and some nice floral hops (Nelson Sauvin perhaps?).

I'm curious....what would you guys do and what kind of recipe would you put together?

So you're the one...

[begin demi-rant]
When I was a kid I used to pick up a Pom after football/basketball/baseball practices and eat it while I walked home. I think I was the only kid within miles that even knew what they were, never mind actually ate them, so they were wicked cheap for even a grapefruit sized Pom - like a dime.

Now the darned things are used in all kinds of juices 'n' stuff and are heavily promoted as being healthy for you and everyone and their brothers are finding ways to use them - so even orange sized ones are $3 a pop here! I can't hardly bring myself to spring for one or two a season at that price, dammit!
[end demi-rant]

Anyway... ;)

I'd strip at least a couple pounds of the seeds out - probably most if not all of your dozen - smush 'em up just enough that the seeds are oozing juice, then dump the smush into the fermenter after primary completes and let 'em soak for a couple of weeks or so before kegging/bottling.

I'd favor a clean dry "host" brew 'cuz it's not like Pom juice is particularly strong of flavor and it has virtually no aromatic properties, so I'd go light with the hop schedule...

Cheers!

Funky or neutral yeast? I have some washed WLP380 and WLP001 in my fridge. Not sure which one to go with. I'm tempted to use the 380

Just an update....I'm drinking this beer after 5 weeks in the bottle. used the wlp380 yeast. Surprisingly, the beer is crystal clear! The pomegranate is not very noticeable, but not surprisingly the beer finishes with a very tart aftertaste. I would probably use a slightly cleaner yeast next time (it's got some funky overtones). I have mixed feelings about using more or less pomegranates....I used 12 and extracted all the pulp. I then put it in a blender with the seeds and strained it in a cheese cloth. I got about 3.5 cups of juice and added to the primary after fermentation. the taste is subtle and I like that. I'm not sure if I want more fruity flavor or not. The base beer by itself is actually what I'm more interested in recreating. 50% 2 row, 33.3% wheat, 8.3 crystal 20, 8.3 % carapils. Boiled with hallertauer and finished with saaz and strisselspalt for a total of 27 IBU

Pomegranate wheat is the winner, I did 5-7 batches this last summer and there where a real hit!

Pineapple is also a very good one, strawberries flopped good aroma but no taste.

What yeast do you use and how much wheat do you use in your recipe? Do you use fresh fruit or juice and how much? My recipe tastes good as is , but I know it can be improved. I'd like to hear how others make theirs

Back