BIAB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but here it goes. I have done several batches of extract with steeping grains and now I want to try BIAB to see if I want to move to all grain. My question is can I just use all grain recipes to attempt BIAB style brewing. I want to try a couple of kits from midwest and do not want to buy them until I know for sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

Yep, just add up what it says to use for sparge water and the mash water, and count that as your full mash water. So if it's like 3g of one and 4g of the other, start heating 7g of water and go from there.

May want to save some water for a quick dunk or batch sparge the bag at the end to increase efficiency, but not required technically...

The easiest way to do it is to get BeerSmith II, which has a tool that converts AG recipes based on your equipment and techniques, including BIAB. BeerSmith II cost $22.00 right now at Birdman Brewing.

But yeah, you can also either add up the water like the post above suggests for a full-volume mash, or you can do a BIAB sparge, where you take the sparge instructions from a normal AG recipe and sparge the water through the BIAB bag after the initial draining of the bag. You'll typically get higher efficencies with this method for BIAB becuase the sparge rinses the grains pretty thoroughly, so if you like full-bodied beers (to style), it is a good option.

Seriously, though, if you have the money, get BeerSmith II, for $22.00 it converts everything, does all calculations, and is a GREAT tool for when you start to design your own recipes. That's a serious bargin in my book.

Back