What could have happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
It's been almost 4 weeks in primary. I haven't noticed any airlock activity all week. All of a sudden today the entire contents of the airlock have moved over to the right side. can anyone explain this?

100_20021.JPG

A shift in room temperature can cause the pressure in the fermenter to change and the water can move. Or, the fermentation may just be going very slow at this point.

after a month in the bucket, if it isn't temperature or barometrics at work, i'd sniff it and make sure some other buggzies didn't find their way in.....

some times a little CO2 can get trapped down in the yeast and come out when the conditions are right.

have you taken any gravity readings?

Has the gravity changed since then?

If not I'm going with barometric pressure, FTW! :rockin:

I've had that happen with a degree or three of change, that's not that much air space. Of course moving that way would indicate a warm up in temp.

Check the gravity, give it a sniff. drink it.

gravity is down to 1.005. I opened it up and didn't notice any funky smells. this look infected or is it just tiny co2 bubbles at the top?
100_20031.JPG

Everything's fine...Those are just yeast rafts, and even a slight change of room temp, barometric pressure, or the fact that some co2 worked it's way from the trub and out of the beer, could have changed the pressure in the bucket and moved the water. Nothing really to worry about.

Your beer is alive, things are going to happen, but there's no need to hover over it and get nervous when things happen.

I wasn't too worried just curious as too why I would have airlock actitivity all of a sudden after almost 4 weeks. drinking out of the hydrometer sample and it's not bad but tastes eerily similar to the last one i did. do all hydrometer samples always taste simillar?

Back