Bacon Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eugh...definitely not up my alley. I think I'd rather keep beer and bacon separate;).

More power to you if you like the flavor combination, though. If anything, I think it might work in a Rauchbier, maybe aged on oak.

The most recent BYO has a recipe for it and some others like maple, captin crunch, grits and so on.

A huge part of what bacon taste so good is the salt. You could easily get the smoky flavor into beer but the saltiness will be a much more delicate matter. Good luck.

In the BYO recipe they used real back in the same fashion as a dry hop. They recommended cooking the bacon in the oven to reduce grease and then adding it to a secondary.

It actually sounds disguisting to me but to each their own.

It's amazing that this sounds so horrible to me, seeing as my 2 favorite things in this world is beer and pork. For me, I'd rather drink beer while enjoying bacon, BBQ, pork loin, etc, but not IN my beer...

Still, I'm intrigued. Not enough to make it myself, but if anyone else does, I'd like to hear about it.

Definitely render the fat off. I know wort won't harbor nasties, etc but I don't think that was written without fat or lard in mind I'm sure. It may not hurt me but rancid bacon fat would definitely make me sick. That said I can not wait to give it a try. It would be a beer Homer Simpson could be proud of.

Doesn't Charlie Papazian have a recipe for "chicken" beer? Maybe do something similar? Sounds horrid, but to each their own...

Back