I'll be playing in the dirt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been waiting for a while to get these and they finally showed up today. I've skimmed through the posts on the first page but wanted to see if there were any glaring tips/tricks/what not to do you could offer for a first time grower.

"I'd suggest..."
or
"I'd Definitely not..."

I'll be planing these in pots for now leaving them on the south side of my house. I may either put them in large pots or extend the patio blocks and make a planter box, we'll see. I will run rope to the eves of my house two-stories above. I'll add pics of the area later for suggestions. I'm also going to plant one of them on my south-facing chain link fence and see what happens.

2010-04-05123803.jpg

I to am diving into this head first, this year. There is a ton of conflicting advice out there. You read one thing, only to read the next article that says something totally different.

What I am planning to do:
1. rich soil
2. manuer and lots of it
3. lots of water, but not soaking/standing water
4. at least 6 hours of direct sun.
5. ability to grow at least 7 feet
6. keep the pest level to -0-

Thanks Junkyard.
I mixed potting soil/Moo-Naure 50/50 so hopefully that will be good and gave them a shot of water last night before putting the pots on our south-facing deck. I've got two stories for them to grow, eventually. I'm excited.

Don't forget beer and lots of it! :mug:

Bonus points for labeling the pots

Gridlocked, hops are basically weeds. Put the buggars in the biggest pots you have and let them grow. ;)

OK, that's an over simplification, and there are a lot of things you can do to help things along. You will find a lot of good info on growing hops in pots here with a search.

My only reason for posting is to stress that you don't need to worry too much about getting these started. All they want from life is reasonably correct conditions and room for them to take over the world. :)

I planted my first year in pots and was really surprised, my Fuggle was in a 25 gallon pot and was still root bounds when I when to trans plants them in the ground this year.
I used miracle grow potting soil and they did great.

These pots are just to get them going. I just need a couple weeks until my planter is built along the south side of my house - or at least until this weekend when I can borrow a trailer to get some 2x10's home from the Depot and build proper boxes. I wanted to get them into some dirt ASAP.

I too am jumping into this this year. I have started mine in the same size pots until I can create a planting location. two weeks max and they should be in the ground.
Best of luck to ya

Back