Missed OG on Kolsch. Corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Kolsch and missed my OG by about 10 points. I've calculated that about 3/4lb of corn sugar would do the trick to get back where I need to be. Any problems if I boil the corn sugar in a couple of pints of water, cool and add to the pitched wort?

Cheers,

Dukester

Brewed a batch of Kolsch and missed my OG by about 10 points. I've calculated that about 3/4lb of corn sugar would do the trick to get back where I need to be. Any problems if I boil the corn sugar in a couple of pints of water, cool and add to the pitched wort?

Cheers,

Dukester

Personally I would just leave it as is. If you want to adjust the OG up, I would use some extra light or light DME to boost the gravity, rather than corn sugar. Corn sugar is 100% fermentable and will dry out the beer, along with raising the OG.

Light malt extract would probably be better. Dextrose would ferment out to nothin'.

Was this a partial boil? If so, leave it alone. You probably just didn't get the top off water mixed well enough with the wort.

It was a partial boil. I honestly don't remember if I gave it a good stir in the carboy so your probably right. Fermentation seemed to proceed normally and didn't taper off early.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dukester

Back