Bairds vs. Fawcett Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
I just purchased a #55 sack of Bairds Maris Otter grain. I also notice that there is another manufacturer--Thomas Fawcett.

Is there much of a difference between the two companies related to Maris Otter? Did I make a mistake in getting Bairds?

Look here for Bairds typical analysis and here for Fawcett's.

Looks like Bairds has the lead in diastatic power (>45°Lintner), Fawcett's color is slightly lighter (4.5-5.5 vs 5-7 EBC or 2-3 SRM), and Baird leads very slightly in extract potential.

Far as I can see, you've got the same malt in either case, but there are differences in malt not discernible from numerical analysis alone. You have to use your trained brewer's senses for that. You did not err in the Baird's, that's for sure; I've used that malt quite a lot in the past and enjoyed excellent results.

Cheers!

Bob

I've used Bairds' and Fawcetts' Maris Otter. Couldn't tell any diference in the finished beer.

Back