polished granite tile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
Having issues, my roommate is finishing up tiling the kitchen. He can't seem to get the tile clean, it has this cloudy haze.
He is using granite specific cleaner.

I thought vinegar was good, but read no acidic cleaners.
Then read ammonia with no surfactants (soaps), then read no ammonia.

Any cheap recomendations?

You can use a car polish and then use a car wax(synthetic is best, like meguiars tech wax) periodically to protect it. Any sort of degreaser will remove the wax, but it helps protect the countertop against basic stuff.

Is it brand new?

This just what I heard. Depending on where it came from the haze might be a protective coating for shipping and can be a pain in @ss to remove.

I had 145 square metres of tile installed in my house a few months ago and they had a wax coating, like beeswax on them. The tiler said "Just put a cup of white vinegar in your mop bucket and it will all come up fine.

BULLSH!T!!!!

I tried everything I could think of, Turps, Metho, simple green, etc etc. Nothing put a DENT in it, and I had an entire HOUSE to do.

I ended up renting a floor polisher, and bought a $80 4 litre jug or polishing compound. I spent two days and ended up mopping all of the tiles like FIFTEEN TIMES to get the polish off them...

It was a nightmare!

Why didn't you have the installer correct the problem?

Why didn't you have the installer correct the problem?

Because he told me when he left on the last day: "I am the tiler. I lay the tiles and do the grouting, and then my job is finished."

To be honest, I relly didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal.... How hard can it be to get the shipping wax off floor tiles?

Lesson learned.... another one:D

Well turns out he was using windex.

Seems more like the dust got ground in and scratched everything up.
Hopefully he can buff everything out. There are one or two the grout got ground into. They started walking on it before they cleaned it. He may have to bust a couple out and relay them.

Latest posts

Back