Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Chinooker'd Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @66F
Tasting Notes
Outstanding!
12 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Ale Malt, Bel (3.1 SRM) 81.67 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt (3.0 SRM) 10.00 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 3.33 %
6.0 oz Carapils/Dextrin (1.5 SRM) 2.50 %
6.0 oz Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 2.50 %
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) 5.6 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) (FWH) 19.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) 21.9 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (20 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (1 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
0.25 tsp Lactic Acid (Sparge)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05)

This is one terrific IPA. Not overly hoppy, but you know it's there. The mash hop and FWH soften the chinook bittering a tad. Wonderful aroma. The piney Chinook works well with spiciness of the rye. Simcoe gives it a citrusy undertone. Just malty enough to balance the hops. Slightly dry but has enough mouthfeel. Damn near perfect!

Giving this a shot right now. Used flaked rye instead of the rye malt. Also added some centennial in the late additions to make the hop flavor a little more complex and fruity. I also got rid of the mash and FWH and just added them to the 60m addition.

Also, I used crystal 60, and instead of simcoe (which I'll never use again) I'll either do northern brewer or amarillo, haven't decided. Probably NB.
And also, I did use S-05, but I'm trying S-04 in carboy #2.
Don't like Simcoe? I love the stuff. I'd go with Amarillo...
IMO the S-04 might be too estery.

I just tried the 'Ruthless Rye Ipa' is this similar?

Do you have the ability to post a pic?

I want to throw my hat in on a real hoppy Rye IPA.

Thanks.

No. At least not the way I made it. I think you need a LOT more rye to make ruthless.

Thanks for the input. I think I may try your recipe to get a taste for my first rye beer, then experiment with increasing the Rye if it isn't to my liking. I have heard that rye is easy to overdo.

oh...yeah I was talking to poobah. Nevertheless, any help with this style is greatly appreciated.

Giving this a shot right now. Used flaked rye instead of the rye malt. Also added some centennial in the late additions to make the hop flavor a little more complex and fruity. I also got rid of the mash and FWH and just added them to the 60m addition.

I see that its been a few years now but how did your batch turn out? Why did you go with flaked rye over rye malt?

I see that its been a few years now but how did your batch turn out? Why did you go with flaked rye over rye malt?

I think I had the flaked rye from another beer.

This rye was good as far as I remember. I went through 5 or 6 rye IPAs and ended up liking the Denny Conn Wry Smile rye IPA best.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/denny-conns-wry-smile-rye-ipa-84515/

Here's my notes from that 2011 batch:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/chinookerd-rye-ipa-195695/

Had some problems with mash temps. Mashed at 140 for about an hour, then raised to 150 for 30 more minutes.

[5jan11] measured 1.020. Kinda high / thick for an IPA. Could add sugar to knock it down a bit, but at the expense of possible alcohol hotness. Flavor is nice, not too much bitterness. Good flavor. I think I'll like this one. I'm not getting the pine out of the chinook, odd. I do get a bit of bubblegum though, which is very very nice. Very nice taste on this one, but a bit thick. Oh yea, that's not bubblegum, that's the rye, duh! I likes!

[12JAN12] measured 1.019

Back