Forgot to take a reading - rough guess at %?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Hey,

I made my latest batch using 2x5l demijohns. In each I used 4.3l of store bought apple juice.

To each of the vessels I added 220g of clover honey and 320g of white sugar. I used some general use high alcohol wine yeast.

I was wanting to get a decent %, maybe 7-8% but I think I may have over done it a little.

Can any more experienced people guess what % I will get?

Hey,

I made my latest batch using 2x5l demijohns. In each I used 4.3l of store bought apple juice.

To each of the vessels I added 220g of clover honey and 320g of white sugar. I used some general use high alcohol wine yeast.

I was wanting to get a decent %, maybe 7-8% but I think I may have over done it a little.

Can any more experienced people guess what % I will get?

I think there are too many veriables to get an ABV without readings before and after fermentation.

Can you get any more of the same apple juice and take a reading? You could also get the amount of sugar from the nutritional label if you still have the container. Either would take most of the guess work out of this.

I'm used to working with pounds and gallons, so I hope I converted correctly. I get an OG around 1.086, which would give you about 12% ABV if it ferments dry.

Can you get any more of the same apple juice and take a reading? You could also get the amount of sugar from the nutritional label if you still have the container. Either would take most of the guess work out of this.

I'm used to working with pounds and gallons, so I hope I converted correctly. I get an OG around 1.086, which would give you about 12% ABV if it ferments dry.

Each Litre of apple juice had 114g sugar.

So that would equal

490.20g sugar from apple juice
320g of white sugar
220g of clover honey

With those numbers, I get 1.083, which puts you around 11.5% ABV if it ferments dry.

Wow ok maybe I went a little over board. I will leave it for a month or so to ferment completely then bottle carb for a few months and see if it turns out like cider or some sort of alternate fuel.

Thanks for the calculation.

Latest posts

Back