A new trick I learned today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Since we always have to sanitize the autosiphon I was looking for something to easily submerse it without a bunch of water. $2.99 a wallpaper box. They are 3-4 feet long and relatively shallow, perfect for quickly sanitizing that siphon. Just thought i'd share.

I dont know what they are called, but they are the little tubs you put wallpaper in to get it wet.

I used to use a wetting tray also, but my neighbor is an insulator and he got one of the pipefitters to get me a 3" diameter stainless tube. I just fillit with Starsan solution and drop it in. It's less messy because there's less chance of bumping it and having the liquid slosh all over. (I'm becoming a bit of a klutz in my bold age):cross:

Mike-H said:
Since we always have to sanitize the autosiphon I was looking for something to easily submerse it without a bunch of water. $2.99 a wallpaper box. They are 3-4 feet long and relatively shallow, perfect for quickly sanitizing that siphon. Just thought i'd share.

Thanks for the tip, I had been trying to come up with a solution for this as well. :mug:

I just use my bucket...:confused:

BTW, either BYO or Zymurgy has an article on making a wooden frame/box to hold that wall paper tray steady. Specific details include carrying handles/recesses. You may want to look into it.

I've been using a wallpaper tray to hold long items in sanitizer since I started brewing. It's also great to fill with sanitizer to hold bottles sideways in a queue when I'm bottling. Take one out, put another in the other side and push the bottles along. It ensures that each bottle has been soaked for a couple minutes in StarSan before I get to it.

I also use it to hold the majority of my small equipment for storage. I'd pretty much consider it to be an essential item for brewing.

Hey great post, I was just thinking about getting a dedicated container last night when we were bottling.

I picked up one of those trays to use as a temporary drip tray. The Xmas ale was starting to erode the concrete.

david_42 said:
I picked up one of those trays to use as a temporary drip tray. The Xmas ale was starting to erode the concrete.

OMG! PERFECT IDEA!!!!! Thanks dave!

Back