Oxiclean and Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killinger

Reaction score
I've been using Oxiclean for my general cleaning and StarSan for sanitizing for a while. I was recently browsing the Oxiclean website and noticed the ph is 11. Star San, of course, is an acid (ph ~3).

With those stats in the back of my mind, I went to work cleaning and sanitizing some equipment. As I was running the Star San out of the carboy, I remembered that there had been some residual Oxiclean in the bottom when I dumped the sanitizer on top. I wondered if the ph of the Star San had been knocked out of the effective zone by the additional base in solution. So I tested the ph coming out of the carboy: 4.

Star San must be 3 or lower to be effective, right?

So, I ran a dilution "experiment". I took my premixed Oxiclean solution (don't know the ph or the ratio of powder to water, but I'd guess it was 1 scoop to 5 gallons) and premixed Star San (ph ~2.9) and added 1/2 ounce Oxiclean to 8 oz Star San. My ph sticks only go up to 4.4, but it was off that chart.

I continued diluting until it got into the measurable ph zone of my sticks. At a ratio of 1:32, the ph was 3.6. At 1:40, the ph was about 3.

So, at a ratio of 1:32, the solution would be outside the range of effectiveness of the sanitizer. This equates to 1/2 cup Oxiclean per gallon of Star San.

I've never had an infection, but I think I will rinse better between cleaning and sanitizing in the future.

Am I over thinking this? Not thinking at all?

Or, clean well ahead of brew day so the equipment is dry prior to sanitizing with San Star.

I am spending the time around Christmas cleaning and sanitizing my brewery equipment and glassware. It is a preventative measure if you will.

Anyway, this post is very timely for me as I have most things soaking in Oxyclean as I write. San Star is my go to sanitizer, so I thought I would do a switch for this project and use an acid base sanitizer I used early in the hobby.

Then, on brew next, I will return to San Star.

Thanks for pointing this out.

You obviously need more hobbies, you have to much time on your hands.:D

LOL
Yup...retirement is wonderful. I could be oiling my bicycle chain. I rode 3,400 miles January to September. Then pretty much stopped when my wife and I bought a 2,200 sqft. farmhouse that needs some work. (Including a dedicated standalone brewery)

Rinse and rinse well. Sanitize and ferment. Easy as that! You're probably right that oxyclean neutralizes starsan, but not if you rinse well. Also, I only use 1/4 scoop oxyclean per 5 gal and have never had a problem. I would only go with full scoop if I had just bought some really dirty, caked equipment from craigslist. Maybe you're making rinsing more difficult by using too much oxyclean?

Yeah, I'm not stressing out over this, and I'm not suggesting anyone else should. I had never thought about it, I'd never seen a PSA on here about it, and I just thought it was noteworthy. If you don't rinse your Oxiclean, your StarSan might not be as effective as otherwise.

Carry on.

I also noticed my starsan got cloudy after cleaning with oxiclean. SO...I switched to a less expensive vinegar solution and am saving starsan for bottling day.

I'm still having trouble with streaks on my bottles after a PBW clean though (streaks wipe off on outside but can't wipe inside)

I also use Oxiclean and Star San to clean and sanitize my equipment. This past weekend I washed my kegs as normal, but forgot to rinse the oxiclean before sanitizing with star san. This oversight has just dawned on me. Am I freaking out over nothing or will the batch I kegged taste all funky? Has anyone else done this? If so, what were your results?
Thanks!

Back