Frigidaire 7.2 Chest Freezer..... Collar Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Anyone have a Frigidaire 7.2 that they've added a collar to that wouldn't mind helping a brother out? I'd like to get to work on the collar, etc., but I'm buying the parts as I go to help alleviate the $ pain.... first the freezer so I can start the build, then the temp controller, then the kegging goodies.... very likely the 3 bottle premium kit from kegconnections with a few changes.

Maybe I'll just go buy a cornie locally to help with the sizing, but if anyones already measured it, it'd help.... curious how tall the collar needs to be to place a cornie on the hump? Even if someone wants to measure a cornie for me? How about a 10 lb Co2 tank... if it's taller than a cornie? Would prefer shorter over taller.... hoping a 6 inch collar clears...

I have the same freezer, I'm putting it together today so I'll try to remember to post how tall it needs to be but I believe a 8in collar will work for putting cornys on the hump. I'd just locate the CO2 cylinder outside so you have more room for kegs in it. I just drilled two holes for my two different pressure lines running into it through the collar.

I'm not presently where my keezer is, so I can't measure directly, but I built my collar with maple 1x8 and two Corny kegs will fit on the hump with room for disconnects.

c95ec08b.jpg

Anyone have a Frigidaire 7.2 that they've added a collar to that wouldn't mind helping a brother out?
.... curious how tall the collar needs to be to place a cornie on the hump?

I am converting the same freezer now, and I find that I need the collar to be 7.25" tall to fit a corny with disconnects on the hump, which incidentally is the width of a 2x8.

I'm not presently where my keezer is, so I can't measure directly, but I built my collar with maple 1x8 and two Corny kegs will fit on the hump with room for disconnects.

c95ec08b.jpg

So, unmodified (other than a temp controller), it looks like that freezer will hold four kegs, plus room on the hump for other stuff.

Right?

Yep, three. I think if I really, really wanted to, I could probably get four jammed into the lower part, but it would involve shaving the rubber on the kegs down, and I'm not inclined to try it.

Here's a pic of three kegs in the lower part:
0d0fc685.jpg

I'll also modify my earlier statement that two kegs will fit on the hump with a collar installed: They will, if you don't have taps over there. My four taps are all over on that left side, so only one keg will fit there.

yes it will fit a 1/2 barrel keg. good luck lifting that over the collar.

+1 on the 2X8 collar. Mine fit fine and after a couple years the silicon caulk is doing great holding it on the top of the freezer. No extra screws or support seems necessary. I cleaned the top to insure a good adhesion and used pure silicon white caulk from a big box store. Let is set up for a couple days before stressing it.

Cheers!

+2 on the 2x8. You WILL regret not making use of the hump. Also, since cash is tight, scour Craigslist before you buy a new freezer. I scored a year old 8.8cf one for $120, and with the collar it can easily handle 6 kegs:

IMG_01732.JPG

Which, y'know, is more than enough, or so I thought...

Reviving this old thread because I'm looking at the 7.2 cu.ft. Frigidaire at Best Buy (sale and some gift cards from Christmas) and would like to know if I could fit 3 pin lock kegs and at least a 5# co2 tank on the bottom area without a collar. I'd like to build a small kitchen island on the top and have room for a case of bottles on the hump... Thanks!

Reviving this old thread because I'm looking at the 7.2 cu.ft. Frigidaire at Best Buy (sale and some gift cards from Christmas) and would like to know if I could fit 3 pin lock kegs and at least a 5# co2 tank on the bottom area without a collar. I'd like to build a small kitchen island on the top and have room for a case of bottles on the hump... Thanks!

I have this same freezer and I fit 3 cornys and a #15 CO2 bottle on the floor, with room for 2 more cornies on the hump with the 2x8 collar. My kegs and CO2 bottle on the floor fit fine even without the collar added, but I just couldn't give up that space on the hump so I added a collar. I also painted the top of mine with Chalkboard paint so I could write stuff on it, like what is on tap.

I have this same freezer and I fit 3 cornys and a #15 CO2 bottle on the floor, with room for 2 more cornies on the hump with the 2x8 collar. My kegs and CO2 bottle on the floor fit fine even without the collar added, but I just couldn't give up that space on the hump so I added a collar. I also painted the top of mine with Chalkboard paint so I could write stuff on it, like what is on tap.

I too am looking at a this Frididaire 7.2 Cu. Ft. unit. I want a black chest freezer around this size and it should work perfectly. Do you have any pictures of your setup with the 3 kegs and the 15# CO2 tank sitting in there. I am planning on keeping it stock, not building the collar, and using the hump to store bottled homebrews. I think for my needs 3 kegs should be fine, but i'd like to see how it all fits with the CO2 tank as well, thanks!

Back