What can I bring to hawaii?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I just found this thread. What can I bring to hawaii? Hops? Grains? DME?! Little help?

Great question. I'd like to know, as well. If I find out anything, I'll post it here.

are you moving to HI? As far as I know, you can bring it with you. You can also order from online vendors and have it shipped to HI. But there is a local shop in Honolulu.

nitrousjunkie said:
are you moving to HI? As far as I know, you can bring it with you. You can also order from online vendors and have it shipped to HI. But there is a local shop in Honolulu.

Yeah I'm moving to hawaii. Everything is so expensive there though. Compared to the prices I used to get when I homebrewed. It's like 3 times the amount

If you're moving to Oahu, there is a small homebrew shop there near the airport off Nimitz Rd. Otherwise, mail order when you can.

That's true. Everything is more expensive in HI. Are you military? COLA will help off set it a bit. If you have to pay full price for shipping, you won't mind paying what's charged. Just wait until you see the price of co2 if you keg.

I used to keg but I sold my 4 tap system before I left for training. So I'll be bottling. My homebrew club at home buys grain in bulk for super cheap. But I'm not sure if I could slip that in my stuff I'm shipping. I don't mind buying the other stuff on the island or getting it shipped but the base malt is costing me too much. I bought my last 2 50lb sacks for $75. One sack is $75 on the island. I'm just gonna have to suck it up I guess.

Damn, you aren't going to see prices like that on the islands. It's really not all that bad though. Where are you going? I'm stationed at Hickam, currently deployed though.

As far as I know I'm heading to Fort shafter. But I'm told that can change when I get there

I live on Oahu and the LHBS is pretty darn expensive. $1.70 per pound of 2-row, $5 for a pack of dry yeast. Northern Brewer has the best prices on everything including shipping that I have found so far. I had 25 lbs of grains that I ordered and it came in around $20 for shipping, after breaking it down, still cheaper than the LHBS. I you want to keg, I suggest bringing that stuff, it's pretty hard to find on the island and shipping on that would be a pretty penny.

Bordy said:
I live on Oahu and the LHBS is pretty darn expensive. $1.70 per pound of 2-row, $5 for a pack of dry yeast. Northern Brewer has the best prices on everything including shipping that I have found so far. I had 25 lbs of grains that I ordered and it came in around $20 for shipping, after breaking it down, still cheaper than the LHBS. I you want to keg, I suggest bringing that stuff, it's pretty hard to find on the island and shipping on that would be a pretty penny.

Thanks. I already sold my kegging stuff. I'll be bottling for awhile. Unless I find a deal on CL before I leave. I been checking prices everywhere. Have you ever used farmhousebrewingsupply.com. Their hops prices are awesome. Check it out, you might chane who you buy from

I have checked them out and they do have great prices, but the shipping is cheaper with Northern Brewer, something you definitely have to consider in Hawaii.

Bordy said:
I have checked them out and they do have great prices, but the shipping is cheaper with Northern Brewer, something you definitely have to consider in Hawaii.

I wanted to check shipping for 33 lbs of grain at northern brewer on northern brewer. It came out to $66! Did I do something wrong?

I usually play with shipping quantities, for example, I have had it come out to about 25lbs and it costs around $20. Maybe try to split it into 2 packages of 15lbs each, get it around $40.

Northern Brewer is having a buy 2 get one free on all grain recipe kits, I just got 2 cream ale kits, an a chocolate milk stout kit and a pound of priming sugar shipped for $60. Shipping was $8! Not sure why so cheap, but I put the order in ASAP, maybe try to check now, maybe rates changed?

Ahhhh! i just got here yesterday! I don't even have an address yet. i wish i could order some

Northern brewer has flat rate shipping for 7.99. Midwest is literally across the river from them in the twin cities and only does flat rate like three times a year.

jamason_2000 said:
Northern brewer has flat rate shipping for 7.99. Midwest is literally across the river from them in the twin cities and only does flat rate like three times a year.

They do $7.99 all the time? If so, they have a new customer

That's what the website says. I would ask for a military discount as well, never know you might get one.

I don't think it's always $7.99 flat rate to hawaii, I think I just got lucky...

I checked the shipping on some grain today and it gave me the flat rate option of course I was only looking at like 10 lbs of grain.

Old thread..

I am also preparing to move to the islands and am looking for what I should being with me to gear up. Should be boots on the ground no later than July 2015.

I am hoping to hook up with some home brewers on the dry side of Hawaii (Kona).

Bring anything you can thing of. Shipping is expensive. Sacks are usually $70 for the cheap stuff. At least on Oahu. If possible bring corny kegs. A great thing to have out here. People even sell them for a lot on craigslist. Supply and demand I guess. I would focus on any large items for brewing. Specialty malts, hops, and yeast is easy to get here for a decent price.

I will have to figure out what Corny kegs are.
I want to bring a brew rig but also anything else that is most costly to fetch. Not sure if grain will survive the journey in a shipping container. (?)

Corny or Cornelius kegs are a great alternative to bottling. I highly recommend kegging verse bottling. The grain might be okin an airtight container

Brought all my crap. Carboys are on CL all the time. Homebrewinparadise sells kits and products. Amazon is a savior with free shipping for equipment. Hard to get recipe kits shipped cheap. 25 bucks is normal for shipping for a kit. Just scored Pliny from Northern with 7.99 shipping but it's sketchy to score that deal. You need a fermenator or fridge setup. 80-90 degrees in the garage. A few notes.....you'll drink a lot of beer here. But not on the beach. FASTRACK bottle storage/dryer. Bring a few.....A garage is a luxury here if you live like a local

Latest posts

Back