Terrapin So fresh & so green, green hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
I just picked up a bomber of this today. I was trying to score some Heady Topper at a local store that has a ton of beers, but no luck. I knew it was a long shot since they don't import to PA, but the guy there took my phone number because a friend of his goes up once a month and gets cases.....Score!!!

Anyway...... It says right on the label "brewed with 2012 Citra wet hops"
Has anyone had this? I'm planing on opening it tomorrow for the game, but was just wondering what to expect. I did a search on it and got nothing. At $11.00 a bomber I'm hoping it's good, and I'll will report back with the results.:rockin:

Yea...I only searched HBT. Beeradvocate, and Ratebeer are ok, but some of the reviews seem all over the place.

Three 4s and a 3 so far. I've never had it. For some reason, local place is always late to the party when it comes to Terrapin's seasonal releases.

From what I've read, they use a different hop from year to year. They have them overnighted right after picking to the brewery, begin brewing right away, and keep going through the night till the hops are gone. One run in one brew day. Last year was Amarillo, and this year is Citra. Pretty cool thing for a brewery to do.:rockin:

Well, finaly drank my bomber, and have to say I was expecting more. I make a Zombie dust clone that is every bit as good IMO.

Anyway.... It pours with one finger of nice white head that holds well.
The aroma is of course heavy with Citra, and just a hint of spice
Taste is again heavy with Citra, but a little vegital also. Nice malt up front with the Citra being the overwhelming flavor. Bitterness was good at the back, and overall well balanced, but just couldn't quite get away from the vegital aftertaste. I'm not sure if they used Citra in the full boil for bittering(I FWH mine), but I've heard it can throw a grassy off flavor if you do. That might be what I'm tasting as well.

Overall, it's a good brew, and if you like Citra this ones for you. At $11.00 a bomber, it won't appeal to everyone, but it's worth a try.

Back