Drinkin diluted Star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna die AM I!!!:eek: :)A few day ago I unhooked one of my kegs to sanitize another. I hooked the keg back up, but had Star san in the beer lines. I just poured a beer and as I started to drink the beer it tasted funny. I was like Fu ck. I read the Star san bottle and it said to call poison control. If I don't make it, I have 4 kegs ready to go....

I didn't. Pretty sure the label is referring to undiluted Starsan, that would be bad.

Good luck!!!!! I hate calling poison control!!!!! Once it was for my dog, she ate a WHOLE bunch of one step. Another time for being in a small room while I was using co2, I panicked cause I was home alone. They took forever on that one, they actually put me on hold to go get a supervisor because they didnt know what co2 was..... Read up on co2 and co poisoning for about a week after that....

I didn't. Pretty sure the label is referring to undiluted Starsan, that would be bad.

No I know. Thank goodness it was diluted..My tongue and throat area little warm and my wife isn't even around...I can imagine if I drank straight Starsan.

Listen to the basic brewing podcast about sanitizing (I think its one of the early ones), James is talking to the maker of StarSan. I think I recall him saying you can drink it (straight even) and be fine, but he doesn't recommend you go and do it.

With the amount of star San we use on everything it's obviously fine in small quantities.

Just dilute it in your stomach with water/beer, shouldn't be a problem.

In its diluted state I think you can literally just drink it and be fine anyways.

Bulls Beers said:
No I know. Thank goodness it was diluted..My tongue and throat area little warm and my wife isn't even around...I can imagine if I drank straight Starsan.

It does have an odd mouth feel to it

I think I recall him saying you can drink it (straight even) and be fine

Straight, no way. Isn't it an acid? I remember someone posting on here that their new container of Star San tipped over in their truck, leaked, and burned through carpet by the time he finally realized it.

Rev.

Rev2010 said:
Straight, no way. Isn't it an acid? I remember someone posting on here that their new container of Star San tipped over in their truck, leaked, and burned through carpet by the time he finally realized it.

Rev.

I recall someone saying they got undiluted Starsan on their pants and it burned through and burnt their skin. Diluted to spec is fine though, thats why its no rinse.

Well then maybe it was diluted, but either way he was saying how safe it was. We consume lots of acid - from lemons, vinegar. I dont think having consumed a bit of StarSan with your beer is reason enough to call poison control.

Good luck!!!!! I hate calling poison control!!!!! Once it was for my dog, she ate a WHOLE bunch of one step. Another time for being in a small room while I was using co2, I panicked cause I was home alone. They took forever on that one, they actually put me on hold to go get a supervisor because they didnt know what co2 was..... Read up on co2 and co poisoning for about a week after that....

Never knew brewing could be so dangerous! :D

I drank a mouthful of starsan once, just to see. It tastes like lemony-orangey flat alka-seltzer to me.

Ha: that rhymed.

Back