Rye beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubba

Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of rye beer. Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye is one of my favourite beers.

I like just about every beer style there is, but I was thinking I'd make a rye ale of some kind my next all-grain project.
Rye IPA:s are good, I know that.
Rye ESB? Could be good.
Rye stout? No idea, any experience with this?

Suggestions and ideas for a good rye ale recipe are welcome.

a few months back I made a rye pale ale that was a 75/25 2-row/rye mix. I added some chinook and cascade hops to it and it was one of my favorite beers ever. I am also a huge fan of everything rye, and i think that i will increase the ratio of rye in the next batch. I don't know if you can get it in your area, but O'Malley's SunRyes Ale is pretty tasty and easy to get in the eastern Kansas area. Personally, i think rye should be added to everything

Ooh, I see that the Swedish alcohol monopoly currently carries a Danish rye stout. I've got to track down a monopoly store with them and pick it up.

You can get them to import stuff for you, but it's usually obscenely expensive. It's also possible to order alcohol from the European Union - but it's rarely reasonably priced when it comes to beer.

I love Rye as well. I've made a Red Rye IPA that is very good and a few other Rye IPAs. Also made a couple Rye Pale Ales attempting to clone Terrapin's Rye PA which is the best Rye beer out there IMO. Although the Ruthless Rye is very good.

I am thinking about a Chocolate Rye Pumpkin Ale for the fall this year...

Hoppy ambers are great. Rye saisons are very tasty. I have a rye stout in my dropdown that I enjoyed very much. Still trying to picture the ESB. No reason it wouldn't be good, I just can't picture it.

I've been thinking - I need to do some more tinkering with my mashing equipment, so maybe I could make this a partial mash? My biggest pot is 3 gallons, and the next one is about 2. Is that enough for a 5gal partial mash batch?

a few months back I made a rye pale ale that was a 75/25 2-row/rye mix. I added some chinook and cascade hops to it and it was one of my favorite beers ever. I am also a huge fan of everything rye, and i think that i will increase the ratio of rye in the next batch. I don't know if you can get it in your area, but O'Malley's SunRyes Ale is pretty tasty and easy to get in the eastern Kansas area. Personally, i think rye should be added to everything

Got a recipe for that?

Rye porter with a Belgian yeast. Look up peace tree rye porter. It's an awesome beer but I've never tried to clone it.

Yeah I made a pretty simple recipe that I thought turned out great.

5 Gal. Batch 60 min boil
8.5# 2-row
3.0# rye malt
0.5# cara-pils (in hind sight this probably wasn't necessary. Could've been .5 rye)

.5 oz. Chinook FWH
.5 oz. Chinook @ 45
.5 oz. Cascade @30
.5 oz. Cascade @15

Mashed @ 152 for an hour and then fermented with US-05 which is my favorite.

It wasn't the hoppiest, but it was absolutely delicious. I'm a huge fan of first wort hopping after that one. I called this one my "Hooker Rye". As a Chinook pilot we are often referred to as "hookers". So Chinook hops=Hooker ale.

my latest would be a rye ESB,kind of.
23ltr
2kg W Pils malt
1kg W Rye malt
300gr Crystal wheat
300gr soft brown sugar
1oz Norther brewer@60, 1oz citra@15,10 and 5 and an oz to dry hop.

Whoa, it looks like rye malt can convert itself! That would make a partial mash of your bill very easy.

1.5kg pale malt extract
300gr brown sugar

Mash@what?:
1kg rye malt
300g crystal wheat

I heared that exlellent rye beers are german hefe-weizens with addition of rye malt ( up to 20% ) of total grain bill. What is more, I'm brewing one of this beer right now ;)
I'm brewing this recipe:
Pils malt - 4,4 lbs ( 2 kg )
Rye malt - 2,2 lbs ( 1 kg )
Wheat malt - 2,2 lbs ( 1 kg )
Spelt malt - 8,8 oz ( 0,25 kg ) just to get rid of the rests of this malt out of my stock
Munich dark - 7 oz ( 0,2 kg )
Crystal 200EBC - 5,29 oz ( 0,15 kg )
Chocolate 625 EBC - 1,06 oz ( 0,03 kg)

98F - 35min
then slow heating to
160F - 45 min
172F - mash out

60 min - Sybilla 6%ak 15g ( 0,53 oz )
15 min - Sybilla 6%ak 10g ( 0,35 oz )

and for the yeast Wb - 06

I heared that exlellent rye beers are german hefe-weizens with addition of rye malt ( up to 20% ) of total grain bill. What is more, I'm brewing one of this beer right now ;)
I'm brewing this recipe:
Spelt malt - 8,8 oz ( 0,25 kg ) just to get rid of the rests of this malt out of my stock

98F - 35min
then slow heating to
160F - 45 min
172F - mash out

How did this turn out? Looks really good to me.

It turned out to be a nice, refreshing dunkelweizen but also with typical for rye beer notes like a spicy taste and rye-bread aroma.

I'm working on a recipe for an Imperial Chocolate Rye Porter. I was planning on only using 5% rye malt (this will be my first rye beer). Any suggestions?

Yeti Imperial Stout
(Great Divide, Colorado)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.99 Imp gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.80 Imp gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.62 Imp gal
Bottling Volume: 4.62 Imp gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 64.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7.93 Imp gal Denver, Colorado Water 1 -
4.34 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
2.78 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
1.98 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
1.12 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
0.10 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 6 -
15 lbs 4.2 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 7 78.7 %
15.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8 5.1 %
12.0 oz Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 9 3.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (381.0 SRM) Grain 10 3.9 %
9.9 oz Roasted Malt (Joe White) (609.0 SRM) Grain 11 3.2 %
8.1 oz Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12 2.6 %
8.1 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 13 2.6 %
1.36 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 14 51.3 IBUs
0.70 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 15 20.3 IBUs
0.63 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 16 9.2 IBUs
0.63 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 17 3.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [130.00 Yeast 18 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 6.3 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.19 Imp qt of water at 162.3 F 150.8 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.14 Imp qt of water at 211.8 F 168.1 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 0.60 Imp gal water at 168.0 F

Tomorrow I'm brewing a brown rye ale with the hopping of a west coast pale ale -- fermented with a spicy Belgian yeast strain.

How is it that you can get Ruthless Rye in Sweden, but I can't seem to find it on the shelves in Michigan? That is also one of my Favorites.

check you local Meijer's store they carry it, at least the one in Big Rapids does. I like Ruthless Rye also but I think Red's Rye Pale Ale from Founder's is better.
I make a Rye Pale Ale that is very good.

Ahh - the last time I checked Meijer they didn't have it. I will be looking again. I also like Red's Rye, although better in the tap room rather than bottles (not sure why that is?) Ruthless is just a little more "in your face".

I'm brewing this recipe:

98F - 35min
then slow heating to
160F - 45 min
172F - mash out

I was planning a dunkelweizen this weekend -- I think I will do a Roggenbier instead. Im thinking Roggenbock -- thanks for the thread.

I've brewed a American Amber Rye beer that I call the Redheaded Ryechild. It's got a lot of crystal for a full body, complimented by the rye flavor and citrusy hops.
Basically it breaks down to 60% Pale Ale Malt (I like Maris Otter), 30% Rye Malt, 5% Crystal-120 and 5% Special B. It's super tasty and and next time I might try swapping out the Special B for English Extra Dark Crystal and I might even at a bit of naked oats for some silky smoothness but it's good as is. Use your favorite american hops but I like centennial. If you want more there are directions and more specifics in the recipe section under American Ales.

I'm bottling a Rye BPA today that came out very nice. It's 85% pale, 15% rye (by weight), 5% turbinado (by extract). All willamette around 32 IBU. T-58. Can't wait to get it carbed up!

Denny said:
Yes, use at least 15% rye if you want to be able to taste it IMO.

Thanks, I'm hearing you don't want to go too much over 15% rye due to intensity & stuck mash probability. I talked to Matt Brynildson yesterday at Firestone Waller, he recommends I start with 10%. I think 15% will give it more of a Dry rye bread flavor, but for this one I'm trying to balance it... I'm gonna attempt a recipe at 10% & adjust from there.

Thanks, I'm hearing you don't want to go too much over 15% rye due to intensity & stuck mash probability. I talked to Matt Brynildson yesterday at Firestone Waller, he recommends I start with 10%. I think 15% will give it more of a Dry rye bread flavor, but for this one I'm trying to balance it... I'm gonna attempt a recipe at 10% & adjust from there.

Not true AFAIAC. I've gone 40%, had no lautering issues and it made delicious beer. Commercial brewers do have concerns about lautering (that's why the SN rye beer is so wimpy), but the beauty of homebrewing is that we don't have those constraints.

Hey everyone, I have a question about rye grain, does it produce the same percentage of fermentable sugars as two row and other base malts?

Palmer lists Rye as 1.029 ppg.
I recently did a Pumpkin Rye
3 Gallons
Rye 25% 1.5lbs
Vienna 33% 2lbs
German Pils 33% 2 lbs
Crystal 20 8% 0.5lbs
Hops
40 min 0.5 oz Goldings 2.5 AAU
20 min 0.25 oz Golding 1.125 AAU
20 min 0.25 oz Hallertau 1 AAU

Mash at 154, Mash out 170.
OG 1.042 Ferment 4 weeks at 67F
20 IBU ABV 5%
Which I think would be a good base for a nice rye ale (already edited out pumpkin/spice for you) if you left out the pumpkin and spices. Make sure you go for medium-high carbonation levels. I went for High carb levels and they over-power(IMO) the rye falvor and completely dwarf the spice character.

This recipe was killer. When I first tapped it I was not impressed. I poured a glass each week and it kept getting better. By the 2 month mark it was killer. Didn't last long after that. Don't know why it took so long but it was worth the wait!

Rye ESB

Batch Size: 15.00 gal
Boil Size: 19.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 75.00 %

23 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 67.2 %
6 lbs Rye Malt (3.0 SRM) 17.5 %
2 lbs 4.0 oz Caramunich II (45.0 SRM) 6.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 4.4 %
12.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) 2.2 %
12.0 oz Extra Dark Crystal (150.0 SRM) 2.2 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [5.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 4.6 IBUs
2.25 oz Target [11.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min 31.4 IBUs
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min 1.5 IBUs
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [2000.00 ml]

Half rye malt, half Munich malt. Northern brewer for hops....very tasty. Got compliments from a couple of local professional brewers with that beer

Has anyone here tried spicing a rye beer with cumin or caraway?

They go really well in rye bread so I was thinking of experimenting with it but I've not done a lot of spicing. Can anyone advise how much I should add for a 5 gallon batch so it's subtle enough?

Has anyone here tried spicing a rye beer with cumin or caraway?

They go really well in rye bread so I was thinking of experimenting with it but I've not done a lot of spicing. Can anyone advise how much I should add for a 5 gallon batch so it's subtle enough?

Why don't you make a small batch to experiment with or if you have an extra fermenter, make a split batch and experiment with one? You could even make a multiple split batch and try different spices/amount of spices. Only you know how much you like.:mug:

We have made quite a few rye beers and even brewed one for a festival at a local micro.
Things to know about rye:

Rye malt and rye flakes are two different animals.
20% flakes is like 50% malt.

Those percentages are also the max you probably want to do in a beer.

Rice Hulls are your friend. They will keep you from sticking your mash.

BIAB guys ignore the previous recommendation.

I do like rye IPA's but we make two rye ales. A 7% Winter version that's only around 30-35 IBU's and then the Summer version at 5% that's around 20 IBU's. You can really taste the rye with less hops. So to each their own, as long as it's tasty!:mug:

We have made quite a few rye beers and even brewed one for a festival at a local micro.
Things to know about rye:

Rye malt and rye flakes are two different animals.
20% flakes is like 50% malt.

Those percentages are also the max you probably want to do in a beer.

Rice Hulls are your friend. They will keep you from sticking your mash.

BIAB guys ignore the previous recommendation.

I do like rye IPA's but we make two rye ales. A 7% Winter version that's only around 30-35 IBU's and then the Summer version at 5% that's around 20 IBU's. You can really taste the rye with less hops. So to each their own, as long as it's tasty!:mug:

Thank you for including the "BIAB guys ignore the previous recommendation." because those limitations really do not apply to BIAB. I've tried up to 60% unmalted rye and while the mash is really sticky, it works out fine with BIAB and the beer really has the rye taste then.

Thank you for including the "BIAB guys ignore the previous recommendation." because those limitations really do not apply to BIAB. I've tried up to 60% unmalted rye and while the mash is really sticky, it works out fine with BIAB and the beer really has the rye taste then.

We are using a RIMS system so we also use rice hulls but I remember watching the guys at Basic Brewing do a 100% wheat beer with BIAB. Before we got our RIMS we would have liked to do BIAB but nobody had figured that out yet! The only negative with BIAB is you carry over a lot of Trub to the fermenter. Not a huge deal, just that it takes away some head space for fermentation, depending on what you're fermenting in. If you could run the wort through a screen first, and maybe you do that, I could see that helping a lot.:mug:

Back