Foam of doom post.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongzilla

Reaction score
Okay I have done a lot of reading on the website, and everyone says do not fear the sanstar foam. However when I racked my beer to secondary to free up my fermenter, I think I may have gone over the top.

I poured about 2 pints of my solution into each of my demijohns which I had washed and cleaned. I then gave them a good shaking, producing large volumes of foam, and left them set for 5 min. I then poured most of the foam of liquid out but the demijohns was still full of foam. I then racked my beer straight onto the foam and let the beer push the foam out of the top, leaving the air void full of sanstar foam.

I left my beer overnight and when I came down to look at it there was still a layer of foam on top of the beer, looking similar to beer head.

I know you've probably heard this 1000 times, but have I droped a clanger or am I okay.

Thanks for your help

Five Star chemical says it's starsan sanitizer breaks down into yeast nutrient. It should be ok if it was just foam.

Thanks everyone for your help, I knew I was just over reacting.

It was just a bit disconcerting when I saw the foam still lingering the next day.

"Fear not thy foam!"- Beer gods of HBT
I've seen several brewers that say the foam breaks down into yeast nutrient, here and in different articles and reviews; but in my extensive research (read: 3 mins on Google) I haven't found any science behind it. Just the anecdotal "They say..." I sure would like to know who "they" are, and why they're saying it. Here's the tech specs from Five Star Chemicals.
I just sent their support team an email asking about it. I will post a copy of their reply.:ban:

Distroid - I believe I heard Charlie Talley (5 Star founder) say that in a podcast; I think it was this one: http://cdn4.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

To the OP: Definitely don't fear the foam, but that said, there's no reason to shake the container so vigorously that you produce huge foam like that. All you need is surface contact so just swirling it around is perfect. FWIW

Back