Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put dry yeast in too hot of water.then I put in fermentor..nothing happened..so 18 hours later i sprinkled another packet on to wort..Did I mess up my beer?Its a 90 minute ipa..1.100 was the reading I got after I chilled wort..was that too high.when I took that gravity reading wort was 78*

I don't think you killed your yeast. What was the temp of the water you rehydrated your yeast in? 95-105* F is recommended. And even if you did damage the yeast the second pack would take care of it.

What I am wondering about if your SG. 1.100 is high, like barleywine high. Did you use a kit? If so what were the fermentables in the kit and what was your batch size? If you are topping off with water at the end of your boil you might now have used enough. Or it could just be a mis-read of the hydrometer.

In the end, you will still have beer. Even if your wort really was 1.100 then it will take some time for the yeast to propagate and show signs of fermentation with such a high starting gravity.

I used a kit. batch size was 5.5 gals. SG 1.107+/-...TERMINAL G 1.019-1.031...Alcohol 8.8+/- no I did not add water at end of boil..boil off was about a gallon.

Well if that was the specs of your kit then it looks like everything is fine.

You just have to wait till it ferments out and do your dry hopping if required. The waiting is the hardest part. :mug:

As to did you kill your yeast. The first batch depends on how hot it was when rehydrating.

The second addition should be fine.

As already stated fermentation may be delayed while the yeast propagate. 1.100 is high and will need a lot of yeast cells to ferment it.

According to mrmalty.com you should have pitched 2 packets to begin with. for 1.100.

So I added the yeast yesterday at noon...now have activity..all should be good now..kit says to add champaign yeast on day three but im gonna add it saturday night..then when that stops.I will rack to a second fermentoy for 3 weeks then bottle it...any ideals on this?

Back