Water From Airlock...Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just did a hydrometer reading. When I attempeted to place the stopper back onto the carboy, water from the airlock dripped into the fermenter.

The fermentation is complete, which means there is alcohol in there. Will the bacteria from the water in the airlock contaminate it, or will my lovely friend alcohol kill off all of the bacteria?

Thanks once again!

Most likely you'll be fine, a little bit of water shouldn't do much. In the future, I suggest buying an el-cheapo bottle of vodka and putting that in your airlock, you won't have to worry about it then.

It sounds like you will probably be fine, but not due to the alcohol content of the beer. It is far too low to have an antimicrobial effect.

This happened to me twice and the beer did not get infected either time.

I use starsan solution in my air locks now anyway.

I would bet that atleast half of the people here have had suck back at some point...you should be just fine. I know that I have gotten airlock water in my brews MANY a time and yet to have a problem from it. Really though, either cheap vodka or sanitizer is a better bet for future brews.

Vodka is the only way to go. Some folks put rum in there so they can see the level better. Suckback = higher abv. :D

15GallonsApfelwein11days.jpg

I keep a cheap 1/2 gallon handy by the carboys.

brloomis said:
I use starsan solution in my air locks now anyway.

I do this also. It's the way to go... and from what I'm told you don't even need to worry about the solution falling into your beer.

Apparently starsan is specifically designed to go 'inactive' or 'ineffective' or 'useless' or whatever you want to call it when it leaves its specific pH range; e.g. when introduced into beer or most other things.

Back