Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
This thread is for interest in a grain buy in Syracuse, NY. We need to get ~42 sacks of grain and then people would have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location. Payment will be done through paypal, and will be required up front, once the order is secured.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$25 2Row + shipping (~$6)
~$38 Marris Otter + shipping (~$6)

To see the catalog, go to:http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

Use 2000#+ pricing

THESE PRICES ASSUME WE WILL REACH THE 2000# PRICE BUCKET.

UPDATE:

Just to keep people up to speed:

Pricing
For pricing, this is an estimate. Plan for about $4 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly. I have borrowed a cost excel sheet from Walker and if you want a copy let me know and I can email it to you.

I will keep this sheet up to date as orders come in to track things and let you know roughly what you are in for $$wise.

Payment

Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 bags (or we decide to process an order with less). I would like to do all payments through paypal, if you have an issue with this please PM me.

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid paypal fees.
• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
• Put in the buyer's email address (check your PM inbox to get that address - I will send it out as soon as we have reached 42 bags or an order is confirmed).
• Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
• Select "Gift".
• If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto the buyer. Suck those fees up yourself.
• In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that buyer will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that buyer can track who has paid and who hasn't.
• Then send the money and chill out.
When the buyer has all of the money, he'll place the order.

After that, cidahmastah takes over and handles out the delivery end of things, which will be at his home address unless otherwise noted (if you know a place of business that we could have the shipment delivered to that has a loading dock PM CidahMastah). CidahMastah will keep us all updated on when it is to arrive, when you should show up to get it, and all that jazz. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. Whatever. That's your decision to make with your splitting partners.

For reference: a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain, will just about hold half of a 55 lb sack.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------
ROUND 3 - ORDER OPEN - 4/27/2011

New Order has opened up (ROUND 3). I will award people their place in the order by the time frame that they contacted me. If we get to two pallets, we get a discount on shipping.

STATUS
0 bags down

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (pending) Collect 42 sacks of grain for an order​
2. (pending)Our request for quote (RFQ) has been sent out by the buyer​
2. (pending)We hear back from the buyer on actual cost ( (pending)I pass out the actual cost to everyone)[/COLOR]​
3. (pending)Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via paypal)​
4. (pending)Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
5. (pending) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (pending) and where it is shipping to (pending) , when to pick it up(pending) .​
6. (PENDING)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

FUTURE ORDERS
For those who missed the current order, but would like to be considered/notified of a future order, please PM me your interest or post it to this thread. Once we get about half (or more) of the order in, I would be willing to restart a new thread, or add to this one for another buy. Send in the code for what you want and the quantity to make it easier for me to track.

I am interested in one bag each of:
1. Great Western American 2-row malt
2. Hugh Baird (English) Pale Ale malt (Maris Otter)
3. Great Western Munich Malt
4. German (Best Malz) Pilsner malt

36 more bags to go

Do not count me as official yet, but I might be down for 2, maybe 3 bags. I am interested in seeing what the price would be first. These guys still sell bulk to homebrewers? I know North Country does not.

Ahhh.... Group buys welcome. Ignore me :drunk: Did they tell you the bulk discount?

No sweat - I should get actual pricing from the guy today or tomorrow - he said he would give me a a estimate quote.

Basically, there will be a discount to the already cheap prices on the site, and a few bucks shipping per bag. If you know a better price somewhere - we could always shift a buy to them - but these guys have the best price I could find. Try looking around the cuse and you will buy that same bag of american 2 row for $70 + 8% tax ($29.95 on the site)

You are right NCM won't do bulk sales to home brewers any more... unless you made an order with them in the past. If you already have an account from a previous buy, the rep told me I could have ordered. Know anybody?

I will post the discounted prices as soon as I get them in. I think they should be at, or below the price listed on the site. Which sounds fantastic to me...

A buddy of mine wanted to add two things to the order:

1. 1x Great Western American 2-row malt
2. 1x Great Western Pacific Northwest Pale Ale Malt

31 sacks to go

Come on guys, I don't want to have to buy 40 sacks of grain by myself ha!

I should mention that it won't be a problem for me to store your grain in a cool place until you can come to get it.

oh im interested, but give a day to think of how much grain i need to buy., as of right now looks like two bags of 2-row, but ill let you know soon. have to do some math of my upcoming brews

ok, if this goes through put me down for:

2x Great West American 2-row
1x Great West American Pacific Northwest Pale Ale Malt

Great News!!!

I was able to establish a contact that I can buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$25 2Row
~$38 Marris Otter

I don't have time to put the pricing sheet up right now, but I will get to it later. The prices will be better than the previous. We need to get to 42 bags.

well im down, still

3 bags of 2 row then

nice thing about them, they are a few hours away... couple hundred miles...

for those who I sent the price sheet to, use the 2000#-4000# price sheet. With any luck we will get a full 42 sack order.

well im down, still

3 bags of 2 row then

nice thing about them, they are a few hours away... couple hundred miles...

Yeah - I tried to solicit business from them first, but was stonewalled. Good for us, we have a silent benefactor.

ok, saying we can get 42 bags, im good for

3x CM-2ROW

and if anyone gets included in this ill go half's on MO

Update

Pricing

For pricing, this is an estimate. Plan for about $4 per bag for shipping cost and tax on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly. I will be "borrowing" a cost excel sheet from Walker and posting it this weekend (hopefully).

I will keep this sheet up to date as orders come in to track things and let you know roughly what you are in for $$wise.

To see the catalog, go to:
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

Use 2000#+ pricing

THESE PRICES ASSUME WE WILL REACH THE 2000# PRICE BUCKET.

Payment

Payments will be collected once we have secured 42 bags. I would like to do all payments through paypal, if you have an issue with this please PM me.

To pay, please follow these instructions carefully to avoid paypal fees.
• Click the "Send Money" tab at the top.
• Put in the buyer's email address (check your PM inbox to get that address - I will send it out as soon as we have reached 42 bags).
• Put in the amount to send.

Here's the important part...
• Under the amount box, click the "Personal" tab.
• Select "Gift".
• If you are paying from an existing paypal balance, or from your bank account, no fees will be charged. BUT... Paypal charges transaction fees for anything that is paid for with a CREDIT CARD. If you are paying with a credit card, you will have the option of selecting who has to cough up the money for those fees. Do not push those fees onto the buyer. Suck those fees up yourself.
• In the area at the bottom where it allows you to type in the custom text for the email that buyer will receive, be sure to include your name, as it appears on the spreadsheet (your homebrewtalk user name), so that buyer can track who has paid and who hasn't.
• Then send the money and chill out.
When the buyer has all of the money, he'll place the order.

After that, cidahmastah takes over and handles out the delivery end of things, which will be at his home address unless otherwise noted. cidahmastah will keep us all updated on when it is to arrive, when you should show up to get it, and all that jazz. You, as the buyer, are responsible for picking up your grain or for making arrangements for someone else to pick up and hold your grain for you.

FOR SPLIT SACKS: Work out the details with your partners. Bring something to put your share in, weigh it out on site, and take your portion. Or, one of you picks up the whole sack and deal with the splitting on your own time. Whatever. That's your decision to make with your splitting partners.

For reference: a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the type of grain, will just about hold half of a 55 lb sack.

OK so to start us off, here is the current status of orders:

CidahMastah GW-2ROW - 2x
CidahMastah CM-2ROW - 1x
CidahMastah BZ-PILS - 1x
CidahMastah GW-PALE - 1x
CidahMastah BD-MOPA - 1x
El Exorcisto CM-MUNH - 1x
El Exorcisto GW-PALE - 2x
rustbucket CM-2ROW - 3x

12 bags down
30 bags to go

Notes:

I believe that rustbucket is looking for someone to split a bag of Maris Otter with
For those interested, Briess Light DME is also available in 50# bags

Right here in Syracuse, I'd definitely take a bag of MO, Pale, and Pilsner malt.

1x TF-MARIS OTTER
1x GW-PALE
1x BZ-PILS

I know 4-5 other people who are looking to buy bulk grain also; I can probably get them to buy an additional 10-15 sacks.

Right here in Syracuse, I'd definitely take a bag of MO, Pale, and Pilsner malt.

1x TF-MARIS OTTER
1x GW-PALE
1x BZ-PILS

I know 4-5 other people who are looking to buy bulk grain also; I can probably get them to buy an additional 10-15 sacks.

Fan-freakin-tastic! I think I know a guy or two as well, one might be in for a bag of dme and the other is probably good for 2 sacks of grain, so we are getting there!

Great News!!!

I was able to establish a contact that I can buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$25 2Row
~$38 Marris Otter

I don't have time to put the pricing sheet up right now, but I will get to it later. The prices will be better than the previous. We need to get to 42 bags.

I am not involved in this, but I wanted to let you know that you do not need to get to 42 bags. That's the max they can put on 1 pallet, but they will have no problem shipping you a pallet with 20 sacks on it if that's what you want.

I'll take the following:
1 bag Great Western American 2-row malt
1 bag Hugh Baird (English) Pale Ale malt (Maris Otter)

Thanks for the heads up and extra info Walker. I figured as much (42 bags), but you know that thing about assumptions... :mug:

So it looks like we are at:
CidahMastah GW-2ROW - x2
CidahMastah CM-2ROW - x1
CidahMastah BZ-PILS - x1
CidahMastah GW-PALE - x1
CidahMastah BD-MOPA - x1
El Exorcisto CM-MUNH - x1
El Exorcisto GW-PALE - x2
rustbucket CM-2ROW - x3
bierhaus15 TF-MOPA - x1
bierhaus15 GW-PALE - x1
bierhaus15 BZ-PILS - x1
stunsm GW-2ROW - x1
stunsm BD-MOPA - x1

17 bags down
25 bags to go

Notes:

• rustbucket is looking for someone to split a bag of Maris Otter
  • CidahMastah is looking to split a bag of C40
  • For those interested, Briess Light DME is also available in 50# bags

Well it's an interesting first post, been reading a while but I don't think I've posted anything... I'd be in for a bag of CM-2ROW and the other half of your bag of C40. Also I'm in Rochester so if anyone out here wants to split gas, I'll drive or you can either way...
Robert

ravio depending on when this happens i could possibly meet you out in rochester RIT. i am finishinig up my masters there and if you pay for your part i could possibly meet you there and give you want you want.

we would need to consolt before hand tho

Rust and Cidah, I'll PM both of you. Assuming I have those privileges, if not I'll go make some posts then PM you.

Edit: PMs sent.

Just giving this a bump and an update:

So it looks like we are at:
CidahMastah GW-2ROW - x2
CidahMastah CM-2ROW - x1
CidahMastah BZ-PILS - x1
CidahMastah GW-PALE - x1
CidahMastah BD-MOPA - x1
CidahMastah GW-C40 - x.5 (with CM)
El Exorcisto CM-MUNH - x1
El Exorcisto GW-PALE - x2
rustbucket CM-2ROW - x3
bierhaus15 TF-MOPA - x1
bierhaus15 GW-PALE - x1
bierhaus15 BZ-PILS - x1
stunsm GW-2ROW - x1
stunsm BD-MOPA - x1
Ravio11i CM-2ROW - x1
Ravio11i GW-C40 - x.5 (with CM)

19 bags down
23 bags to go

Notes:

* rustbucket is looking for someone to split a bag of Maris Otter
* CidahMastah is looking for someone to split a bag of Munich
* For those interested, Briess Light DME is also available in 50# bags

I'm trying to decide if I'm getting in on this. Checking out the catalog now. I'm in Albany, so if anyone wants to split on gas, I can get us up to pick-up.

EDIT: Also, rustbucket, I may be interested in splitting the MO with you.

FarmerJoe, this is funny, but depending on when this takes place and how long you can wait, ill will be making a trip to Vermont this spring, so i could as well bring you want you need. (im doing a lot of traveling this spring to visit old friends)

but that would be cool if you want to split that

Rustbucket, that sounds pretty convenient since VT is closer, buy it all depends how quick we can get this done. If it's within a few weeks, I don't mind driving up to cuse. But I guess this means we're getting the bag of MO for sure.

I'm also going to get another bag or two, will update later once I check some recipes. Might be able to get my friend to buy another bag or 2 too. I'll let you all know

Rustbucket, that sounds pretty convenient since VT is closer, buy it all depends how quick we can get this done. If it's within a few weeks, I don't mind driving up to cuse. But I guess this means we're getting the bag of MO for sure.

I'm also going to get another bag or two, will update later once I check some recipes. Might be able to get my friend to buy another bag or 2 too. I'll let you all know

Very cool farmerjoe.

I have two more people on my end working out orders and I should have their requests in this week (hopefully sooner than later.) Also Bierhaus said he has some guys coming in on the deal. I am optimistic we will reach our number before the end of the week.

Here is to hoping - I want to get me some grain!

lol, that would be cool, just let me know i placed for stuff to get me through to June last night. well specialty stuff.

Hey rustbucket, which MO are we going to be splitting? BD-MOPA?

Also Cidah, put me down for a bag of CM-2ROW for now. I trying to decide what else to get, so I'll let you know soon.

lol, that would be cool, just let me know i placed for stuff to get me through to June last night. well specialty stuff.

You mean you added to your order for specialty grains? I didn't see it, am I missing something?

Farmerjoe - got you down - thanks!

no no no... lol, i placed an order at various places last night.. austin, rebel, and farmhouse. lol

Edit: sorry if that was misleading..

Back