What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you nailed it! I used Columbus to bitter and Cascade and Amarillo for flavor and aroma. The IBU level may be a bit off. I have noticed that the one bag of Cascade hops I got may have been not as fresh as I hoped, lacking a little in the punch. As for the carbonation, who knows. I did the standard 3/4 cup of corn sugar in the batch. I did it in late summer, so it wasn't like the fermentation temps were low, leaving some fermentables behind. That's when you open it and let it sit for 5 minutes before pouring. I only have about 6 22's of it left, so those are nice when I get to the end of the bottle.

Finally have the Alaskan Smoked Porter in front of me....

Damn, the smoke is dominant in this beer. Not that this is bad, but there's no real subtlety there. I remember Stone's Smoked Porter being a lot less aggressively smokey, despite the fact it used peated malt (whereas the Alaskan used regular rauchmalt).

Really, though, the smoke is absolutely dominant. Despite that, the beer is very smooth, good mouthfeel, a bit full but not chewey. No hop aroma to speak of, just a modest amount of bitterness and a little bit of flavor on the middle part of the tongue. Not overwhelmingly roasty.

A really nice beer, and THANK YOU AGAIN to Brewtopia for sending them out my way. I'm doing a tasting of my smoked porter alongside a bottle of this and a bottle of the stone, then I think at least one of these will go into medium-term storage. Maybe I'll sample the '05 with the Stone and my beer, and stast the other '05 and other '06 for a little while. I almost want that smoke flavor to go down a little bit, so I'm anxious now to see how the '05 has aged.

Right now I'm drinking Lagunitas Brown Sugar. A buddy of mine got a keg of this the other day, and decided to share it with us during the game today. MAN, this is some good stuff!

Last night, I had a Bad Elf Winter's Ale. It's made by Rideway Brewing in MA. I payed about $5 for a pint of it, but was very good!

:mug:

Edit: Whoops, I see now that this thread is for homebrew. Sorry 'bout that. :rolleyes:

I just finished off a Dead Guy that I've been working on for about 2 hours while I built my mini mash tun.

Now I'm on to Firestone Walker's Porter Reserve

"A limited-production Reserve crafted in small batches and uniquely conditioned in American oak barrels."

Pours a deep brown, almost black color. Aroma is a little fruity, raisiny-plum and slightly chocolatey, with just a little oak, almost inperceptable. Flavor is first the fruit and bittersweet chocolate, followed by some roasted flavors. Roast lingers on the tongue with a little oak. This is a very nice porter. It has many flavors that I have often found in stronger porters and stouts, the sweeter fruit - raisin and plum flavors, even though this beer is only 5.9%

Nice and balanced, not too much roasted flavor, a little sweet and fruity with just a little oak. A great beer. :mug:

last night was a chimay and a maudite.

today my belgian wit. flat of course, since I just threw it into a keg today. but samples are always required :)

later, arcadia scotch ale. and maybe the last bottle of my sixer of SN celebration :rockin:

A Scotch Ale a buddy of mine brewed. Wow, It's awesome! He got the brew kettle very hot before running the wort from the mashtun causing the wort to carmelize once it hit the kettle. The result is a wonderful smokiness from the carmelized malt. It's sweet with just the right balance of hops. It comes in at 8% abv but is extremely drinkable. He used to be the head brewer at Farwest Brewing Company in Redmond WA. He won a bronze metal at GABF in 2005 for his Robust Porter.

Dude said:
MMMMMM...Walker IPA. Damn this **** is good. All the threads on it lately made me crave it. :)

I cannot believe this is an extract beer.

I have *ONE* left... I almost cannot bear to drink it. I know I'm not doing it any favors by letting it sit, but the day when I don't have any of Walker's IPA in the house will be a very, very sad day.

the_bird said:
I have *ONE* left... I almost cannot bear to drink it. I know I'm not doing it any favors by letting it sit, but the day when I don't have any of Walker's IPA in the house will be a very, very sad day.

That was my last too. I think I have a Fat Tire ****up and another wit left.

Rogue Mocha Porter. I think I may have found my porter to make for the in-laws visit in April. Very good stuff!

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. Also very good. I was hoping for a little stronger vanilla flavor, I kinda think the vanilla is overpowered by the oak. a little more carb'd than I expected.

Had a couple of IPAs last night from the Malt Shovel Brewery. Very nice. They had a limited edition rum porter which was fantastic but all stores now sold out. I did not notice it was limited edition :(

oh and six cascade draughts

Just finished off the most refreshing, thist quenching, smooth, crisp, beer i have ever had.

coors light.

just kidding.

My newest batch of Nut Brown Ale. It was from AHS. Can't say I'm too impressed by this one :(

Just finished an Oregon Trails Brown. Next down: the last 2005 Tannen Bomb.

As a matter of fact, I am a beer S.N.O.B.!
Supporter of Native Oregon Breweries!

I'm doing a little experiment. I tried a SNCA tonight and noticed it was really harsh. When I first got it I noticed that too, but ones I had after that were less harsh. Well, I cracked another one open from the second case I bought, and it was much less harsh. Very interesting!

I'm doing a little experiment. I tried a SNCA tonight and noticed it was really harsh. When I first got it I noticed that too, but ones I had after that were less harsh. Well, I cracked another one open from the second case I bought, and it was much less harsh. Very interesting!
Are these all the same vintage? I've got some 2001 & 2004 vintage and I'll tell you, the hops really take a back seat as the beer ages.

Brewtopia said:
Are these all the same vintage? I've got some 2001 & 2004 vintage and I'll tell you, the hops really take a back seat as the beer ages.
Same vintage. After my experiment I opened some threads on brewboard and I guess some of the first batches were harsher than later ones. Hmmmm.

I have heard a lot about Fat Tire from New Belgium, both good and bad. I'd like to find out for myself, but unfortunately I'm on the East Coast. Anyone help me out? More than willing to swap east coast brews for it.

I'm drinking Great Lakes Brewery's Elliot Ness- an amber lager. Not so good, really. I like the Burning River, but this tastes like a sour-ish lager with no real finish. Not terrible, just not very good.

Earlier, though, I had good reviews (from my husband) of my one week old Walker's IPA and the Sawtooth Clone. The Walker's IPA is going to be my best beer ever- it's got everything going for it. This one is a great one, Walker, thanks! Only 10 days or so in the bottle- and I know it's going to go too quick. I'll put aside a six pack for the 07 beer swap.

The Sawtooth clone is an ESB with a malty flavor to it. Am I too much of a beer snob now, when I think my own homebrews are better than the commercials that we buy?

Lorena

Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company, Boonville CA. I've always loved this beer but for some reason or another, haven't bought it in a while. Picked up a 6 pack tonight. Medium amber color, huge floral/citrus hop nose, plenty of malt up front giving way to a intense citrusy hop finish. Great beer! "Hop Ottin' bites like a can-kicky bluetail"

Just found a place that carries Celebrator near me. what a good find. There will be lots of littel goat ornaments on my Christmas tree next year.

Saison Six.24 Season Six Tap.jpeg

Saison Six. I brewed this for the pemiere of 24 Season Six. This stuff is great IMHO. Straw colored, spicy floral aroma, subtle orange and spice with a very slight hop bitterness in the finish. I am very happy with this beer.

Black Marlin Porter.

Holy fright is this stuff good. Quite possibly the BEST porter I've ever had.

A guy on the Greenboard sent it to me, I might have to ask him for more.

Sampling (a week early) my IPA. Carbonation is light, of course, but I like this a lot. TON of hop flavor. Tons and tons of citrusy grapefruit goodness.

Bird, have to finished off my other beers yet?

I'm currently drinking a sample from my stout. My secondary is completely full, and I still had a pint left over after everything. It's nice and smooth. Only a little roastedness, but in a good way, the Chocolate malt adds a nice depth tto the flavor. It's light enough that I could have a couple pints of this. Can't wait to put it on tap...I'll be drinking that Smoked Porter gone soon if it kills me. :D

Not yet, just the IPA and the dopplebock so far. I was sick and not drinking much beer for the better part of a week, and I've been hitting my own stuff recently. I'll probably be getting into some of the others (I'm intrigued by the old ale) tomorrow.

It's from the leftover grain I had when I tried to do an amber. I asked for 11 lbs of grain, but instead they weighed out 11 kgs!. I took it home, mixed it up well, then weighed out the 11 lbs I needed for the amber then couldn't figure out what to do with the rest. I had 13.2 lbs of grain that had some munich and darker crystal in it. For 5 gallons the gravity was higher, so I just found a style that seemed to fit the grain. It's fairly bitter, but not excessive and a nice amber color, burnt orange or so. I like it. Especially since the grain was free. :D

Orval This is my desert island beer. If I had to choose only one beer to drink the rest of my life, this would be it. Horse blanket nose, slight orange character finshing very bitter with a touch of sourness from the Brettanomyces. This is the beer I want to make!

OK now I've switched over to Weyerbacher "Insanity" courtesy of a beer swap with Bird. Wow, this is great. Medium Amber color, very little hop in the nose just a wonderful malty aroma, thick silky mouthfeel, flavor of hops, oak, vanilla, toffee and alcohol all intermingling together quite nicely. I could sip on this all night!

It's Sunday Lunch here.

And I'm on a wonderfull glass of Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer. This is some good ****.
frontpage_bottle.jpg

Oak aged like no other beer…
No other beer is brewed the same way as Innis & Gunn, or for so long. It's a unique process that marries traditional, highly skilled craftsmanship with a unique modern innovation.

We go deeper into the oak...
After our barrels have been filled with beer, they are locked inside a traditional 'Dunnage' warehouse to absorb the flavours in the oak grain - hints of vanilla, citrus and toffee. This takes a minimum of 30 days.
77 days to mature...
The barrels are then emptied and blended. Maturation then continues for a further 47 days in a 'marrying tun', where the flavours fall into perfect balance.
From chaos comes consistency…
Being a natural process, every barrel matures in a different way and at a different speed, imparting different flavours to the beer inside. We nose and taste the flavour of every individual barrel. Only when we deem it perfect does the beer 'make the blend'.

Oak Aged Beer 6.6%

Tasting Notes:

Colour: Honey
Palate: Luxurious malt and toffee giving way to mellow oak with vanilla
overtones. Balanced by the orange peel citrus character. Warming
Finish: Floral, soothing oak with vanilla more evident, lemon zest. Pour me another!

Back